Linux users banned from WoW

Hykos

It seems anyone using Cedega to run WoW on Linux was banned last night. As part of a massive crack down on botters, blizzard banned a number of accounts last night for using 3rd party programs. I assume it mistakenly categorizes Cedega as a 3rd party program that can be used to hack.

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...652222&from=rss

"Many Cedega (formerly WINEX) users claim to have been mistakenly caught up in a security sweep of the U.S. game servers performed by Blizzard's World of Warcraft Game Master (GM) staff. Affected users received the same strongly-worded 'Notice of Account Closure' email messages that true bot users did, in which they were accused of the 'Use of Third Party Automation Software.' While diagnosis of this event continues early speculation points to Blizzard's use of the Warden anti-cheating spyware application that is bundled with World of Warcraft, and the odd things that may have been produced by it when it was run via Cedega. Emails to World of Warcraft's Account Administration staff continue to go unanswered while the list of affected people continues to grow."

Email sent to people that were banned:

***Notice of Account Closure***

Account Name:

Offense: Use of Third Party Automation Software

This account has been found to have employed third party software designed to automate many aspects of the World of Warcraft game play experience. Such software runs contrary to the essence of World of Warcraft and provides an advantage over other players. In addition, use of this software can lead to exploitation and destabilization of the World of Warcraft server economy. As such, this account has been closed and will not be reopened under any circumstances. The recurring subscription on the account has been disabled to prevent further charges.

Please review the World of Warcraft Terms of Use at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html, which you accepted when you installed World of Warcraft and established the account(s). Section 2, Paragraph C details the limitations of game play modifications and use of any third-party or “packet sniffing” software. In addition, Section 3, Paragraph C, parts iii and iv restrict the use of any hack, scripting or macroing software which obtains information from World of Warcraft to gain a competitive advantage over other players.

Any disputes or questions concerning this account action can only be addressed by the World of Warcraft Account Administration department. To learn more about how Account Administration is able to assist you, please visit us at http://www.blizzard.com/support/wowaa/.

Thank you in advance for your understanding in this matter and respecting our position and all statutes within the World of Warcraft Terms of Use.

Regards,

Bekyn

Account Administration

Blizzard Entertainment

www.WorldOfWarcraft.com

Well there are a few things in play here. #1) They *claim* to have been suspended for that reason. There could be very valid reasons (like they were bptting/using 3rd part programs) that they were banned, and the fact that they were using linux was just a coincidence.

Also, blizzard is contacting the company now to make sure there is no conflict, because they don't intend to ban people unnecessarily. :oops:

Well Linux is not a supported platform. We have a guy in WoF that plays on a linux box with a emulator. Not sure if he uses this one or not.

The irony here being that Linux is, in fact, far less susceptible to bot attacks if built and maintained well...'3rd party' and 'unsupported' aside claims by Blizz aside, that's just crap >.<

Anything is far less susceptible if built and maintained properly smile.gif

I imagine Blizzards anti-hack\cheat program conflicted with the way or functionality of how Cadega works and flagged it as a hack. I read somewhere that 'packet-sniffer' was tagged into their e-mail. Which can be legit, I know with games such as Everquest, it would send you all of the data about other players where-abouts in the area. All you had to do was capture teh traffic and filter the good data and whammy, location info on everything realitively near by. If you really wanted to do that right though, you'd mirror the switchport traffic to another port and monitor it on a seperate computer, Blizzard couldn't catch you then smile.gif

But I wouldn't except an overwelling support follow-up from Blizzard since it isn't supported.

I think that the people botting knew that Cadega and linux would be detected, but figured Blizzard supported this method and it woud cover for them using third party bot programs. For the 100's or 1,000's banned their are still several 1,000's using this method who were not effected at all. I would say that maybe a few might have gotten axed as an accident... but that most likely people got banned for using a 3rd party bot program.

Email sent to people that were banned:

***Notice of Account Closure***  

Account Name:  

Offense: Use of Third Party Automation Software  

This account has been found to have employed third party software designed to automate many aspects of the World of Warcraft game play experience. Such software runs contrary to the essence of World of Warcraft and provides an advantage over other players. In addition, use of this software can lead to exploitation and destabilization of the World of Warcraft server economy. As such, this account has been closed and will not be reopened under any circumstances. The recurring subscription on the account has been disabled to prevent further charges.  

Please review the World of Warcraft Terms of Use at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html, which you accepted when you installed World of Warcraft and established the account(s). Section 2, Paragraph C details the limitations of game play modifications and use of any third-party or “packet sniffing” software. In addition, Section 3, Paragraph C, parts iii and iv restrict the use of any hack, scripting or macroing software which obtains information from World of Warcraft to gain a competitive advantage over other players.  

Any disputes or questions concerning this account action can only be addressed by the World of Warcraft Account Administration department. To learn more about how Account Administration is able to assist you, please visit us at http://www.blizzard.com/support/wowaa/.  

Thank you in advance for your understanding in this matter and respecting our position and all statutes within the World of Warcraft Terms of Use.  

Regards,  

Bekyn  

Account Administration  

Blizzard Entertainment  

www.WorldOfWarcraft.com

I got one of these emails. =D My horde account got banned. Back down to one account.

Who the hell unbanned you fromt he site? *sigh* there goes the neighborhood

It was all in my master plan that is now F'ed up.

*back to the drawing board*

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]