The Human Mind

Stricnyne

Subject: THE HUMAN MIND

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter byistlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh, and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Lern2Spel nuub...

it's kinda interesting, there's certain words I had to read twice.

like "wouthit" my mind kept trying to read as "wouldn't"

My assumption would be that the human mind compares the mispelled words to all words you've seen that are close to it and picks what it believes to be correct.

Yeah, it might be also that the mind takes the quickest & easiest way to get to the end goal. So it reads letters and puts them into their appropriate words based on the easiest quickest way to make sense of it.

Yeah, this works alot better when the words are in context too. If you just have a list of randomly jumbled words in no particular order, it's not as quick. I think for the most part human minds take a rough, outline image of the world around us and fill in the blanks to make it work. God only knows what we'd see if we actually paid attention!

I saw this like a year ago...it is ftw.

Given him credit, he jsut figured it out.

My CS1371 (MATLAB programming FTL) professor showed us this on our first day of class... nifty... it works because our minds memorize the words as "packets" so as long as the first and last letters are the same, we should be good to go.

/throat punch Joesf

If you had a bunch of random words with no context its hard to say even if its spelled correctly so I dont think the theory fails at all...you would still be able to read it.

Along the lines of the human brain there was a pretty cool show on the Discovery channel yesterday about people with a special kind of autism I think it was. One guy can read 2 different pages at the same time and remember whatever he reads essentially forever. The other guy was an artist who could look at any building or aerial view of a city briefly and draw it to detail in under an hour.

Basically there is so much information in this world with just looking at even your computer screen that your brain simply filters. It only processes what is important as if you took in everything you would simply be overloaded and couldnt function. The discovery channel is ftw.

No, not hard to say. Slower to recognize. It doesn't make the theory fail. It proves it correct even further. There are a word puzzles that work with this phenomenon.

blals

itndrmeeiatde

wokrnig

gylblulbbue

See. You can still read them. But it tends not to go as fast. Sort of like how Vanin got stuck on wouthit. A lot of times first glance isn't correct, but context makes it go faster.

I've also read that it doesn't matter the length of the word, that the pattern will still trigger the correct response. We talked about this in my psychology class in college. It was really neat. I wanted to turn in my homework like this for the rest of the semester, but my professor frowned upon that. sad.gif

Interesting...

I saw this in Morphology( area of Linguistics) this morning. In addition to what HV said; people find meaning in packets of sound, thats all that words are. Since the first symbol that represents sound and the last are in the right order and could potentially correspond to a certain order of words.

Its all about sound. Writing is a secondary communication tool.

^^

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]