What's your Horde toons name?!

stangmeister

so the people that weren't so hardcore they'd pay for another subscription to play the other faction will play the other faction thus playing their game more thus making blizz more money

thus thus thus thus

I'm not sure about this explanation. It strikes me as a bad choice all around. Personally, I don't want horde players logging on to alliance accounts to talk junk every time they get upset about me killing them (not that I can most of the time xD), or bragging if they kill me (which is the more likely outcome).

From a business standpoint, it does not make sense. Plenty of people pay for a second account for this very reason. Giving them the option to do it without subesquently filling Blizzard's pockets seems irrational. That being said, I am somewhat certain that is why they're not allowing you to transfer characters in that manner. Those currently with multiple accounts could then transfer their opposite faction characters to their primary account, thus meaning a lot of account cancellations for blizzard.

Essentially, they're allowing players who have been steadfast in their unwillingness to buy a second account for the purposes of multi-faction communication to have a way of doing so without the cost. All the while trying to keep the less frugal, who've already buckled to that end, from cancelling their second accounts.

Me playing more because I can now [eventually] kill FP members doesn't make Blizz any more money. The amount of time that I play doesn't affect how much money they make, because I'm not going to cancel my account even if I only log on an hour a week to harass people. So from a business standpoint, like ilDuce said, it doesn't seem to benefit them. It may draw more people into playing, but I can't really see it as a selling point for new subscriptions.

There's also going to be some communication loopholes [log off log on 'stop killing me please + profanities'] which should be pretty interesting..

say you were getting bored with the game and you were on the verge of cancelling, then they release this news, it re-ignites your interest, and you spend another 2 months solidly playing and possibly even longer if you enjoy playing the other faction after only playing as one for so long. thats the angle i was going for.

im sure thats not the sole reason they did this, but i always think of big business as being in the business of making money, it's rarely ever about the customer. just my opinion, i seemed to have offended some people

Edited by Erlin

Their stated reason was that it's in preparation for their faction change service. People wouldn't likely change faction if they had to leave the server too.

I'm not going to cancel my account even if I only log on an hour a week to harass people.

You might not, but most people would if that's all they did. And this would affect Blizz' bottom line.

say you were getting bored with the game and you were on the verge of cancelling, then they release this news, it re-ignites your interest, and you spend another 2 months solidly playing and possibly even longer if you enjoy playing the other faction after only playing as one for so long. thats the angle i was going for.

Like me. I'm the perfect example of this, Ben. Honestly, I was bored. . . and now I'm still playing.... >.<

Plenty of people may pay two monthly fees, but most won't. It's a question of: "Are there more players paying for two accounts, or more people who DON'T or WON'T have two accounts, but would get added longevity from their current subscriptions by playing both factions?". And it's the latter - most people don't love this game enough to purchase 2 accounts, but would play for longer if their horizons were broadened.

Plus, it broadens the social aspect of the game in more than just a "/ragelog -> Hey quit ganking me, douche" kinda way. For example, my buddy from work who has a bajillion Level 80 Horde toons just made an Alliance toon, as well. Now, I can run his Alliance character and power level it, then switch factions and he can do the same for my Horde. He sure as hell wasn't gonna pay to transfer and or faction change all of those, or for a second account, and neither was I. But now he's in FP, and there's an entirely new network of people for him. It'll take months for him to level and gear another toon, then he can PVP against Horde for the first time. Like this, last night: "[G][12-Saevio]: Chris just ganked me... -_-" And that's awesome; i mean who wouldn't wanna gank Coeus if given the chance?

Milking the current subscriptions instead of expecting people to purchase two -- smart MOOve, imo!

Edited by Demetricus

/approve - in this economy more bang for the buck is the way to go. I'm surprised they haven't raised subscription prices. :shock::-x:sick:

I would have rolled an Alliance dwarf anyway regardless, cuz they are teh secksay. But tauren rule (gogo bigfurry) and undead are just awesome.

I have two accounts both with alliance on SC so being able to roll both factions on one account/server from the get go would have been a plus for me. However I'm not too thrilled about the huge amount of faction-logging to bitch and moan that is bound to start. I'm gonna macro myself tell reply "QQ more nubface!! Now relog so I can kill you again pl0x. lulz."

I just wanna go get all the diff horde-side pets without getting /faceraped on the Alliance AH for them. So now instead of tile jumping in IF, I'll relog and level my horde to see the stupid puns and references that they throw in quest dialogues.

Edited by Killerpriest

thanks for the back-up steven! i knew i wasnt crazy, but im not a business analyst either

Last night some poor Hordey was getting ganked by Razzorstrike so he logged onto his brand new Alli toon to beg for mercy. I guess getting spammed for ganking people will be one of the drawbacks to the system, but still fairly hilarious.

Has anyone actually had ANY cross faction bitching yet?

If you have, how bad has it truly been?

No cross faction whining, but I did make use of being able to speak to them two days ago.

I was out doing a quest in Icecrown and while fighting three mobs a hunter and warlock decide that'd be a great time to gank me. I come back after dying and the hunter left, the warlock was still there so I proceed to gank and camp him. Some d-bag Alliance mage named Cheezypoofs comes up to me and says "I do not require your assistance" (Seriously who talks like that?) and thinks for some reason that I'm there to help him. I told him I'm not there to help him and I'm ganking someone that ganked me. Anyhow he says "LOL you got ganked by a lock?" I told him what happened and he said "L2situational awareness"...Put him on ignore and that was that.

I come back a couple of days later to Icecrown and I just happen to be flying over two Alliance fighting a DK on the path up to Ymerheim and getting owned badly by the DK. As I drop down I notice that the mage who was getting destroyed was that d-bag Cheezypoofs! I watched him get owned twice by the DK..lol. I took him off ignore and said "You're a pro...LOL" I then switched over to thank the DK for the ganking and he thought it was hilarious after I told him what had happened. He'll be getting a 100 gold when I transfer gold over to my horde character just for doing that. I guess I kinda like this system!

Edited by JR

one day I will L2situational awareness....one day

Igor actually typed this while he was standing in a fire

aww i made a new page with my post, dangit, sorry tom

In grizzly hills on my 67 mage.. and then it's *gogo world pvp* Some ganking druid, his dk friend, shadow priest., and occasionally this lvl 80 shammy would pop in....

Myself, hunter, dk and... eventually another hunter. We battled it out while questing for a good hour or so while we cleared that area of quests.

no b*tching or moaning..

Just FYI: The restrictions are still in place for transferring opposite faction characters to PVP servers. I tried bringing my orc warrior to SC, but they wouldn't allow it due to it being my alliance server.

A friend of minemoved his 80 horde lock over to SC. He was already on a pvp server. he had no problems apparently. I think there is still the restriction about going from PvE to PvP during transfers.

Does anyone know if a name used on the Alliance side can be used again on the Horde side, or is it unique per server?

Does anyone know if a name used on the Alliance side can be used again on the Horde side, or is it unique per server?

It's unique per server =( My horde toon's name is Epionne (troll shaman) but I'll probably just transfer my horde druid over once we're allowed to do that.

A friend of minemoved his 80 horde lock over to SC. He was already on a pvp server. he had no problems apparently. I think there is still the restriction about going from PvE to PvP during transfers.

My horde characters are on Magtheridon, which is a PVP server. Maybe it was lifted since I last tried it.

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]