24 SSD raid = amazing

Hykos

Some geeks at samsung hooked up 24 of the 256GB SSD drives to 2 Quad Core QX9775, two crossfired video cards and 4 gigs of nice ram. The results: Entire MS Office Suite opened in 0.5 seconds. 53 programs opened in 18 sec., defragged 6 TB in 3 sec., deleted 5.6 GBs of files instantly. /drool

http://i.gizmodo.com/5166798/24-solid-stat...ce-in-5-seconds

In case you're wondering, to build something similar this would cost you over $17,000, based off NewEgg prices.

Edited by Hykos

this is interesting... but i think you can build the same comp minus about 22 hard drives and probly get the same performance... the key is the mobo they used its a server mobo cuz it has 2 CPU sockets...

but this comp is hot!

this is interesting... but i think you can build the same comp minus about 22 hard drives and probably get the same performance... the key is the mobo they used its a server mobo cuz it has 2 CPU sockets...

but this comp is hot!

Actually, that's not entirely correct. The major advantage to what they're doing is the added bandwidth from the raid 0. The sheer tonnage of data that they're able to move per second with the added data streams is quite amazing. I'd doubt that the 2nd CPU is actually doing much of anything honestly.

I'm going to hold off on the SSDs until they come down in price a little. While it'd be fun as hell my raptor serves me just fine ^_^

Oh and for Soma:

SSD = Solid state disk. These are hard drives that have no moving parts and work kind of like a large USB stick. Because you're not waiting on spinning parts in these things the data transfer is considerably faster.

With the 24 in raid what he means is putting 24 of those drives into an array, and making the computer thing that they're all one larger drive. This is going to combine the abilities of the all those drives adding together all the pathways they have individually to transfer data into one large path. It's like taking 6 one-lane roads and merging them into a 6 lane super-highway.

To keep using the road analogy, it's like taking the the traffic for a 2 lane highway during rush hour and using a 24 lane mega-highway to move the same amount of people.

Shiz moves a lot faster.

**After watching the vid full vid, didn't have time to at work**

I actually have to give Bang a little bit of credit, on the open all programs test He's probably right that the 2 CPUs contributed to the F#@%ing insane speed. Honestly though the HDDs and the RAM were the larger players. Vista isn't able to parse out to that many cores at once that effectively (neither is XP before people start bashing). Againg the largest part of the deal was removing the HDD to Memory bottle neck known as a SATA interface.

/geek mode off.

Edited by Ecthelion

nice explanation chris.

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]