Marijuana Decriminalization

tscolin

wow. FLIP FLOPPING is for the WEAK!!

eff you obama.

I support John Runyan for president!

People voted our current winner into office because he didn't flip-flop...At least he wouldn't admit it or remember doing so...

You could always vote for Ron Paul; I think he's the only one remaining that would push for decriminalization.

This issue is so far down my list of things I'm concerned about that it doesn't factor into my decision at all. Not even a little.

honestly i am wondering whether people support marijuana decriminalization because it would help to end the drug war or because they like to smoke pot. ...voters, not candidates, of course.

This issue is so far down my list of things I'm concerned about that it doesn't factor into my decision at all. Not even a little.

With the amount of money thrown out the window on keeping potheads in prison, I would think you guys would be a little more concerned.

With the amount of money thrown out the window on keeping potheads in prison, I would think you guys would be a little more concerned.

I would be, but there are bigger things on my mind, like the war over seas where America's sons and daughters are dying. Or like the economy picking up so I can make next months rent payment, or put gas in my car, or put food on the table. No offense HV but I'll worry about the pot heads that are being housed and fed on my dime after I've covered all that.

Agreed Ect.

As of right now, it's illegal, if someone uses it, they knowingly take the risk of getting arrested. I'm fine with my tax dollars paying for their stupidity.

Edit:

I'm also not concerned because I don't really think it should be decriminalized anyways.

Edited by Coeus

Screw decriminalization, legalization. And I've never smoked pot in my life. I'll extrapolate after I write this a;dlfkjasd;lfksd ISP.

I would be, but there are bigger things on my mind, like the war over seas where America's sons and daughters are dying. Or like the economy picking up so I can make next months rent payment, or put gas in my car, or put food on the table. No offense HV but I'll worry about the pot heads that are being housed and fed on my dime after I've covered all that.

I don't have a problem with caring more about those things. But I do think that it should factor in your decision. Especially considering that the war on drugs figures into the reason why the economy is in the dumps - we are spending ourselves into oblivion. Of course, it's nowhere near on the scale of the costs attributed to the war, but (imo) we need to cut everywhere we can. Or you can look at it this way. Spending less money in the long run can go beyond making our recent tax cuts permanent; less tax means more money in your pocket.

For the record: I've smoked pot several times. It was enjoyable, but I've never felt compelled to do it regularly. It didn't make me stupid. I didn't try and fly by jumping off a building, nor did I engage in any (further) illegal behavior. People that demonize pot are retarded. It is no more (arguably less) harmful than alcohol and tobacco. It should be treated just like alcohol with respect to driving - you drive under the influence, your ass is done. However, I do not think that people who buy and sell it should be thrown in prison where my money can subsidize their existence.

Those who think that OMG ITS ILLEGAL FOLLOW THE RULES should do some research to see just why it was made so.

First there is the reason why pot is illegal - tobacco farmers having more clout than hemp farmers. It's a colonial grudge match that's never been straightened out.

Medically, it's ridiculous. While thc smoking is indeed harmful to one's health (as ALL smoking is), the extent of it's danger is undeniably minimal to alcohol. And even in the instances of medical benefits, thc is far more valuable to the body than any benefits from alcohol.

Societally, it's extremely benign. No one commits crimes to support their THC habit, except moron 14 year olds. No one is chronically homeless in large part to THC. Hospitals don't have major expenses due to THC.

Financially, to redirect resources from a benign drug to harmful, addictive drugs might actually put a dent in hardcore drug usage. Also, the financial gains from a THC industry wouldn't hurt anyone except tobacco and alcohol sales.

I think it's one of the most useless, archaic, hypocritical laws and movements around.

And I couldn't agree more with the both of you, but sadly most Americans aren't going to be as pragmatic about it. Hell HV I've given that same speech you just did more then a few times to anyone that would listen. The sad reality of it is that no one is going to want to talk about this publicly just yet. I feel that it's more of a generational issue that may come under more light as the boomers are moved out of the picture by the passage of time. As for the immediate concerns of the housing market correction, I'm much more interested in what a new president would/could do to help the country through this economic slow down. Or how they'd help to rehabilitate the image of The United States on a global scale. Or what we aim to do about the pending oil crunch, that we and our children will have to deal with. Last but not nearly least, I'm very interested in what kind of plans and ideas a candidate can bring to help cover the millions of Americans that don't posses any kind of health insurance.

Do I agree that a new stance on Cannibus is needed? Absolutely. Do I think the war on Cannibus is a complete waste of government resources and money? Again, absolutely. I'll patiently wait until we've got a climate in which to discuss these issues with out it devolving into a shouting match. Until such a time I've simply got bigger fish to fry.

Edited by Ecthelion

My concern with it being legalized is as HV stated, it being treated like alcohol. Alcohol is legal, driving under the influence of alcohol isn't, yet how many people push that line? How many get 'just drunk enough' and try to pass?

I'm just afraid it's going to lead to more incidents like that. I don't have a problem with people using it, I just don't want it to lead to potential consequences like other performance inhibiting substances.

My other post about their stupidity was just meant to say, since it is illegal, don't expect to not get arrested or complain if you do.

Edited by Coeus

I don't think it should be legal. Large amounts and distribution, heavy fine possibly a little jail. Small amounts misdemeanor. Treat it more like speeding and crossing state border tobacco sales to evade state taxes kinda deal IMO.

Even if it is legalized, companies will still have their drug tests and policies. Look how many companies are tobacco free, test for it and its 100% legal right now.

companies test for tobacco?

Yup, tobacco free work environments. The motivation being lower health care costs for employees. Plus then they don't have to worry about the worker taking breaks every hour to smoke. I've heard of a few people that have interviewed with such places.

JOESF SIGHTING!

I needs me stem cells! And Joesf has Officially been retired. I've been sporting the screen name since... oh man.. what middle school? Early high school?

Joesf will always be NinjaBawls from now on!

My company is tobacco free. They give you assistance programs to get you off, and you can't smoke on the premises. What does this mean? People walk off the property to smoke. Since tobacco is legal, I can't imagine that they can restrict what you do in your free time. Sounds kind of like bs to me.

Scott....you live in an eastern time zone...

Why are you posting at 5:47 am? HMMMMM?!

My company is tobacco free. They give you assistance programs to get you off, and you can't smoke on the premises. What does this mean? People walk off the property to smoke. Since tobacco is legal, I can't imagine that they can restrict what you do in your free time. Sounds kind of like bs to me.

I googled around to find a few articles, but its a coming trend. The Cleveland Clinic is mentioned in many of them. Some states have protection laws against smoking discrimination, others do not. And if its not covered in a discrimination law, and its an at-will-employment state, are there really any legal grounds?

http://www.emaxhealth.com/58/13474.html

http://www.biztimes.com/news/2007/4/27/nic...-a-smoke-screen

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/20..._firing/?page=1

I've smoked since I was 14 or so, and even though I still do now every so often, there really isn't any reason it should be legal or allowed to be sold in its current form. The FDA doesn't even have jurisdiction over tobacco products, even though nicotine has been labeled a drug. Ever see ingredients on a pack of smokes? You you really think a cigarette is just tobacco, paper and cotton? But yet, they don't have to tell you whats in them. Who knows, the vegetarian smokers out there could be breathing in a nice dose of dog marrow or bull balls in some form. Well, along with everyone else :) Mmmm

http://biotech.law.lsu.edu/cases/FDA/fda_v...bacco_brief.htm

Another one of those fun quirks that makes America.... America.

/AMERICA!

You guys should watch boston legal they have already covered the no smoking at work topic :P I know youve seen it ...nijnabawls

To be fair, you can buy natural cigarettes with none of the LOLCHEMICALS added on.

edit: Joey, I wake up at 5:30 am to get ready for work kthnx.

Edited by Hvilelos

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]