help! wireless network issues =[

Klaudia

Alright so, I recently got a new laptop [Dell Inspiron E1505] and its very nice except for the fact that I'm having some issues connecting to the network in my house.

At this point, its recognizing the wireless signal whatever but it won't load pages in Internet Explorer [i get the lovely cannot be displayed page]. I had to manually assign an IP address in order for it to recognize the network, but... bleh. Any suggestions? I think I might need to purchase a wireless adapter. Help =[

Did you assign a Gateway IP address? This is in the same place as the IP address and subnet. And would be the IP address for your wireless router\access point.

Goto Start>Run

Type 'Cmd' >Enter

This should open a command window.

Type 'ping www.cnn.com' >enter

It will 1) Give you a response with latency. If so, everything should be working. 2) Timeout in which access isn't configured. 3) Tell you it could not resolve the name, which DNS isn't configured.

And tell me what you get.

The long shot is probably that your wireless router\gateway\access point needs to be configured to allow your laptop access, but thats a long shot and would be hard to explain on the forums.

and sometimes just making sure you have the latest driver for the wireless adapter and/or firmware for your router helps too, but it does sound more like a PEBKAC error at this point.

I'm guessing that you probably have a mac address filter on your wireless router for added security. Double check that your computer's mac address has been given permissions to the network.

Another thing I often see "confuse" wireless networks is the use of the short password for WEP vs the long hex password. Some NICs interact nicely with routers and you can use the short password option. Other machines, like my girlfriend's iBook, require you to type out the entire hex password to access the network. That number is long!

When I worked with my GF's laptop I initially started using the short password. It appeared to detect and connect to the network, but like you are saying, nothing happened. Once I switched to the long password everything was sunshine and lollipops.

Hehe thanks hero <3 where do I find this alleged hex password? When I first set up the wireless network I made the short password, so that may be it. Or do I make up my own hex password? Also, how do I go about checking permissions on the mac address =x

What kind of router do you have ms. kla? That will be the beginning of our quest!

Haha okay well heres the situation. The main computer downstairs is hooked up to a 2wire Homeportal router thinger, and my desktop upstairs has an internal adapter and is connected through phone lines. Haha everyone at work is tryin to help me too XD

Um... do I have a wireless router? Heh =/ I don't have a wireless adapter upstairs, which is what I think I may need.

Haha umm, no, I have a router! I'm just not sure if its wireless. Are all routers wireless? I don't know! I can check when I get home. I'm assuming thats not the issue since it is indeed connecting to the network, just.. not giving it access, ya know?

first of all....

aol for starters

aol today gives u news about stuff

last...

do the chicken dance

most routers are not wireless. if you have a router that's going through your phone lines, it's almost certainly not wireless. More then likely you're pulling from a neighbor's wireless router and even though you can get a signal they've secured it so you can't get access to their network or the web through their router. I'm assuming when you say you have a 2Wire Homeportal thingy that you're referring to ADSL Router

ill try scratchin my itch and redecorating my bathroom

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]