Making a Computer

Shugenja

Hello. I'm going to make/buy a computer so I can play WoW and etc. So because I don't know really the marks on the parts and all Id need some help. Id need to be able to buy the peaces or the computer in québec (canada).

So. In short. I need a comp that can handle WoW.. not much. tongue.gif

The comp would have have abaout that:

a LCD screen.

an Optic mouse.

a keyboard.

a... speakers.

a mother boards obviously with a ~1-2 ghz processor.

a graphic card similar to a gefore4400 or 6600

a... about 512mgs to 1gig ddr ram

a sound card

a "resotic" card

a ~40 and less harddrive

a dvd/cd lector and writter

a "disquette" lector... you know.. the old square things that cant hold much stuff..

a powersupply

a case

lol... pretty obviuous stuff for most of it..

So you can see its not a big machine... I would like to be about maximum 900$ for all. lol..

So if you can help me out by telling me all X and X peaces or by sending me to a forum where people can help you make a computer Id really appreciate it.

biggrin.gif

-Shu

If you're going to do it yourself then www.newegg.com is always the way to go. Often the cheapest, but not always, but good customer service and very reliable.

If you'd prefer not to do it yourself www.monarchcomputer.com is a good place to have it built for you. Not sure how they would handle Canadian orders, though.

a LCD screen.

- I like Samsung LCD's. For gaming go with the fastest responce time you can get. Like 6ms or around that. Mine that's 2 years old is 18ms, which is like molasses in January slow.

an Optic mouse.

- Logitech laser mouse

a keyboard.

- Logitech G15 or Saitek Ecplipse (both are gaming keyboards)

a... speakers.

- Klipsch or Logitech are great. Headphones: Sennheiser

a mother boards obviously with a ~1-2 ghz processor.

- dunno which boards are best, but at this point you should make sure to get a 64 bit processor. AMD 64 bit socket AM2 3000+ will probably suit you. About $85.

a graphic card similar to a gefore 4400 or 6600

- Geforce 4's won't cut it anymore, even if they still made them :-) . you'll need 6 series or 7 series to not get a crappy frame rate in wow like I get.

a... about 512mgs to 1gig ddr ram

- 1gb minimum. 2gb is preferable. dunno about brands, proly doesn't matter much for you im assuming.

a sound card

- not necessary. your motherboard should be fine

a "resotic" card

- wtf is that? someone translate lol

a ~40 and less harddrive

- I assume that's 40gb?! I dont think they make them that small anymore. I think average is more like 250gb or 320gb. I have 3 Wester Digitals and never had a problem in the two years I've had them.

a dvd/cd lector and writter

- pshh anything will do. So cheap now that even if it breaks it's not a big deal to replace.

a "disquette" lector... you know.. the old square things that cant hold much stuff..

- Are these still necessary? like $10 bucks most places if you have to have one.

a powersupply

- Don't be a cheapskate on a PS. I've done that twice and twice I've had to replace my powersupply. The first one I bought for 30 bucks fried my motherboard and every drive and card attached to it.

Antec is good, reliable, and affordable. Spend about $75 and you shouldn't have any problems with it. I think mine is a 400w Antec and I

a case

- Anything really, but an Aluminum case is best if you're going to be moving it often.

If you're not extremely picky about performance or style $900 should easily be enough for the comp, monitor, and other peripherals.

I also suggest when you get your motherboard to make sure you have a PCI-E slot, I don't so its kind of hard to upgrade to a new video card for me, right now i have a Geforce FX5700, it works. I was playing wow on a comp with a Radeon 7500 and it was working fine, for the most part. But make sure you have a PCI-E slot even if you don't get a PCI-E card

Now if only mom will get back with the car so i can go get myself some RAM

Personally, I would not deal with Monarch.

If you are building it yourself, hit up Pricewatch.com

If you don't want to go through the hassle of building it yourself, go with Dell. I spent 2 years building computers for a living, I have been building my own for about 5 years now. My last computer I went with a Dell so I wouldn't have to worry about anything and I am very happy I did.

http://www.pricewatch.com has some really dope prices. Check 'em out. Just be careful who you order from. Review their business history via customer comments and business ratings before you choose.

Some people on this forum have had bad experiences with Dell. I am not one of them. I did receive my latest desktop in a broken state (it was next-gen hardware that was barely released at the time) and they sent out a technician right away who installed a new mobo and a couple sticks of ram in 5 minutes while I watched. My laptop has never had a problem.

I would only recommend building your own if you really know what you are doing / have a friend that can help. With today's uber-small process CPU's, you need to ensure that you have it installed (with thermal paste) perfectly.

Otherwise you will encounter nothing but problems.

Also, Dell is such a large volume seller, they can offer prices where they have a very slim profit margin. Their prices aren't too much higher than that of an equivalent self-built system, and you get (hopefully) none of the hassle.

That's a good point HV, todays processors have just under 1000 little pins on them, if one breaks, that's physical damage which is not covered under warranty so you could easily be out a good chunk of change.

/agree

I have been using the same Dell (Dimension 8200) for the past 5 years. Never had any hardware issues whatsoever. Need a new vid card though...mines sorta out-dated >_<

I built my computer about a year ago but didnt have it working until about 4 months later. Took about a month to figure out that there was a cpu seating problem. Then my computer would crash whenever you put any sort of load on the system. Only way I figured this out with someone online who had almost the exact computer as I built and found the problem after testing multiple ram/mobo/etc. The power supply we bought was stated to be compatible with the mobo I had but would became unstable whenever the system was under load. Thermaltake said they were working on a solution but I never heard from them.

Long story short it took about 4 months and an extra $200 to get my system finally working. Not saying that building your own computer is always this much as of a pain as my first computer that I built worked right away and is still running awesome. Theres kind of a pride people have building their own computer but ill be buying a alienware or something similar for my next computer (which is a ways off).

Whow. Thanks for the replies guys biggrin.gif

Well.. my bro studied computer science..he could help me but sadly he is on a trip to British columbia for the summer.

I always thought Dell was crap... but I know a friend who bought his this years and never had a problem..

I was more thinking about going to a computer store and ask the parts and that they would make it for me... that would probabaly ask for time if they dont have the parts and additionnal fees though. :/

I wasnt planning on buying the parts online even though its a better way to go... it would ask me to make the comp myself and I totally cannot glue the CPU on the mother board... I have no clue how to do that and I wouldnt want to risk it even though I have a good dexterity with things.

Thanks for the infos everyone. Really TY. But my question is now, should I buy a comp with the precises parts or buy a Dell comp?

-Shu

Edit: I after checking parts and etc Ive noticed Im a total computer noob sad.gif ...I dont understand English cpmputer terms that well and I don't know where to look.. O_o

Dell seems the easy and.. from what Ive read here.. also safe way. :/

-Shu

Oh and to answer the question of "what is resotic card" its the card to like.... get internt and you know..the other card... for the conenctions and stuff. tongue.gif

In french is " Carte réseau".

-Shu

Edit: Network card

I've checked the Dell website.. easier to find what you need and you can find some nice deals..but I feel I could get more for what i'd pay..

And their Dell-like names ..i dont trust those..mostly for graphic cards. tongue.gif

So I'm checking. tongue.gif

-Shu

I talked to a friend who has an uncle that work's at a informatic shop... big place.. they could make my comp pretty fast and it wouln't cost me too much. happy.gif

We just need to know when we will go..

-Shu

www.alienware.com ask hothgar or gryph

seriously.

and if you want a laptop they start at around 800 bucks and the video cards on alienware laptops are changeable

so if you want to upgrade later you can.

all alienware laptops use pci-e video card bus too.

hell for 2400 you can get an alienware laptop with DUAL 7900's the closest dell machine without 2x 7900 is like 3500 bucks

Im at my friend's house and tomorrow me and him are gonna call his uncle who has a compgany that builds computers well and all. so ill get the peaces i want and all and sooner. so ill be able to make my char faster.

TY though. biggrin.gif

-Shu

I called the place and made my comp. Because its Canadian dollar and that theres taxes more than in the US. The whole thing will cost me 1048$. The computer's stats arn't the same but pretty nice still. Its because of the price factor. It'll be a good machine.

Thanks alot to everyone and mostly Hykos for the computer build. biggrin.gif

-Shu

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]