Really Federal Government? REALLY?

Shadrende

This is kindof true - Only because of relatively recent government regulations on smoking. So it's not helping your case for why government should leave smokers alone. :)

Wrong. It's helping the case. It's still there. Just because it's relatively new doesn't mean it has any less effect, or helps any less.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the government is concerned, cigarettes have crazy taxes that bring in a ton of money on the federal and state level. That is a huge plus for the government.

I'm sure if they lost that revenue, they would soon figure out something else to tax to make up the difference :)

I don't smoke either. It is about the government taking away things from people as they see fit. Its a conscious decision to smoke, and more importantly, to keep smoking. This is the governments way of stepping in and imposing restrictions because some idiot kids have a lack of willpower, as if any government has a right to tell people what to do. You chose to smoke, you are personally accountable for your actions, not like Joe the camel is holding you down at gunpoint forcing cigarettes in your mouth. Revolution people, revolution.

Obviously none of us are old enough to remember this from personal experience, however... at one point seat belts were not even in cars, let alone a law to force you to wear them. I would bet a million dollars this same type of discussion happened when the government made a law penalizing us if we were caught not wearing them.

Gov't stepping in:

seatbelts - negative: restricting personal freedom to not wear them. Positive: Saves lives etc etc etc etc

Cigarettes - negative: restricting personal freedom to smoke them. Positive: Saves lives etc etc etc etc

The only reason givernment is dragging their feet enforcing this, is because it would put a huge hurting on their pocketbook. simple.

I understand the personal choice thing, I REALLY DO. but in essence you are arguing a personal choice to poison and kill yourself slowly through intake of carcinogens & suicide is illegal. lol yes i know it is an extreme analogy.. but still.. it's not exactly off base.

The only reason givernment is dragging their feet enforcing this, is because it would put a huge hurting on their pocketbook. simple.

That... And the smoker voting bloc! In 20 years there will be a lot less smokers around though, I'd guess...

Edited by Fatherpeteus

Is clove really a flavor? Would you hand a kid a piece of candy and say "its clove-flavor!" and they'd be thrilled about it? What the hell is a clove anyway?

But, if they are getting rid of "fruit-flavored" cigarettes and the like, what about alcoholic drinks that are "fruit-flavored" that may encourage kids to drink? What about Smirnoff Ice, which tastes just like fruity soda? Should that be taken off the market too? Regular tobacco cigarettes taste gross to kids, they don't smoke them, regular alcohol tastes gross to kids, they don't drink it. Fruity cigarettes taste good to kids, they smoke them, fruity alcohol tastes good to kids, they drink it. Is there a significant analogy here?

Also I like how Igor's solution to any dilemma is to just build a new home!

http://www.thefind.com/food/info-clove-candy

Wait... what were you saying about clove flavored candy?

I was moreso being facetious since clove isn't a widely known flavor in America and I used to smoke cloves with you lot at every party, but that candy is probably amazinggggggg

Obviously none of us are old enough to remember this from personal experience, however... at one point seat belts were not even in cars, let alone a law to force you to wear them. I would bet a million dollars this same type of discussion happened when the government made a law penalizing us if we were caught not wearing them.

Gov't stepping in:

seatbelts - negative: restricting personal freedom to not wear them. Positive: Saves lives etc etc etc etc

Cigarettes - negative: restricting personal freedom to smoke them. Positive: Saves lives etc etc etc etc

The only reason government is dragging their feet enforcing this, is because it would put a huge hurting on their pocketbook. simple.

I understand the personal choice thing, I REALLY DO. but in essence you are arguing a personal choice to poison and kill yourself slowly through intake of carcinogens & suicide is illegal. lol yes i know it is an extreme analogy.. but still.. it's not exactly off base.

So is alcohol next? Alcohol poisons your body, and if used as regularly has crippling effects as well. Not only that but it completely alters your mind in such a way that you can easily drive your car off the side of the road, and kill yourself and or others. You know what smoking doesn't do? That. Seatbelts aren't even remotely the same. They didn't come with a warning that you would cause cancer if you didn't wear them, in fact they didn't even come with a warning because they weren't there. Smoking has had many different law changes in the time that they've been out, and we all are WELL aware that they are bad for you. Smoking cigarettes is bad for you yes, but you're going too far. If the government REALLY cared about keeping us alive, they'd get rid of fast foods, put stronger enforcement on weed, and other illegal substances, get rid of alcohol, hell even candy since it poisons your teeth. Why don't we all just eat fruit, and veggies, and fresh meats from the farm. Oh wait. Am I flying off the handle now?

Besides, has it been that long since you all were teenagers? Why do teens start drinking and smoking? To rebel against their parents, and the government. You think they're gonna stop just cause you're taking away fruity cigarettes? I don't even know any high school kids that smoke cloves or fruity cigarettes. They all smoke marbs, or camels, or newports, you know the kinda cigarettes their parents smoked.

No matter this is ridiculous, I don't even agree with smoking, I'm VERY anti-smoking, but I'm also very intent on the government staying the heck out of my business. If I wanna smoke, I should be allowed to do just that.

I can tell you for damn sure that teens will smoke unflavored cigarettes, and drink unflavored alcohol. Because they aren't doing it because it tastes good. They're doing it to get drunk off their asses. They're doing it to "look cool," or for the nicotine buzz.

And as for comparing alcohol to cigarettes... Remember when alcohol was illegal? Yeah, I'm pretty sure we all remember how that went. Terrible idea.

Making things like that illegal won't make kids (or anyone for that matter) stop doing it. It'll make them start finding ways to get it illegally, and then you'll just have more trouble with "War On Drugs" on your hands.

Its kinda of funny because alot of the things noted here are different in Canada ( of course) but for example the note about people being ablet o drive bad cars. In Canada you must get your vehcile emissions Tested every 2 or 3 years ( forget which) Or they will not renew your registration. If your car fails then no it isn't allowed on the road.

I know alot of the states are also passing the no smoking in public bi-laws. all of Canada is pretty much smoke free now. Not only are we not allowed to smoke in any public buildings. We cannot smoke within 5 meters of opens doors or windows. And we aren't allowed to smoke in our cars if tehre are children in them ( understandable of course).

Considoring the nature of this new law I am going to say its most likely only to detour young people from full out smoking. since the flavored and no nic cigs are usually favored amoungst them.

Edited by Myrevenge

Just for the record, I'm against seat belt laws, helmet laws, and most drug laws. Reason? If you want to kill yourself that's your business.

Sadly as has been pointed out, choices you make for yourself no longer just effect you. I'm not exactly happy about this, but I do understand the ban. I'll freaking miss my cloves though. However if they come after my cigars, violence will ensue.

I thought cloves were technically cigars because of their paper? Like, you can still sell/buy Wine flavored Black and Milds with filters on them because they are "cigars".

It's how they are marketed. Djarum Blacks as far as I remember say "Clove Cigarettes." There are already big warnings from the FDA about trying to re-market products as cigars instead of cigarettes, so we will see :\

Here Matt:

Djarum cigarettes are no longer available for purchase in the US as of September 22, 2009. The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, introduced in the US Congress and signed into law by President Barack Obama, gives the FDA even more control of tobacco regulations; one of the provisions in the law includes a ban on the use of flavors in cigarettes, other than menthol. Without current federal regulation on the sale of flavored cigars within the United States, Djarum has released a line of small, filtered, flavored cigars under the familiar names of their clove cigarettes. The clove cigars are sold in increments of twelve per pack, are wrapped using tobacco leaf rather than thin paper, and (though they use a different kind of tobacco) taste similar to their kredek predecessors.

I'm sure you can still order Cloves online, I used to do this for the Sampernas I used to smoke when the manufacturer decided to stop shipping to the states.

I thought cloves were technically cigars because of their paper? Like, you can still sell/buy Wine flavored Black and Milds with filters on them because they are "cigars".

Cigars are wrapped in tobacco leaf. Cigarettes are wrapped in paper. Black and milds get away with it as they don't have any filler like cigarettes do. It's all tobacco leaf, just highly processed.

This is why newbies at the parties get the "Do not fucking inhale" speech from me if they've never smoked before. The major difference is that paper is more porous then the leaf. Meaning that when you inhale air is pulled in from every point in front of your moth. In a cigar the leaf wrapper is considerably more dense, so all the intake is forced through the length of the cigar, thus concentrating the level of tobacco that you ingest.

A good comparison for the cigars that I usually bring is 1 cigar = 1 pack of Marlboroughs. Now take those Marlboroughs, put them in a tube and rip off the filters. Now you're considerably closer to a cigar in both the level of tobacco being burned and the way in which it burns.

Hence the death stare, and the "Do NOT inhale" you get from me every time. It's all about the flavor, not the nicotine. I'll go for months between cigars usually.

and that concludes any use of this thread. Move on people, there are math problems to solve and AION to play.

and that concludes any use of this thread. Move on people, there are math problems to solve and AION to play.

AION? You srs?

/wrists

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]