MEMPHIS, STAY AWAY FROM MY TOWN!

Trenton

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/644701

Wandering bear in Aurora tranquilized

Some are calling him Wellington the Bear.

Punsters have nicknamed him Aurora Bearialis.

But to folks in Aurora, the young black bear that took up residence in a tall willow tree this morning was no laughing matter.

"I just didn't want anybody to hurt him," said one bashful youngster who watched the mini-drama unfold from behind his mother's skirt.

In the end, Warren May, a biologist with the Ministry of Natural Resources, jabbed the bear with a tranquilizer syringe at the end of a long pole — what he called a jab stick — eventually putting the ursine youngster to sleep.

Once in dreamland, the bear fell from its perch into a big tarpaulin held by local firefighters to break its fall.

" They're fairly timid," said May, who has been working with bears since he started with the MNR in Algonquin Park in 1975.

"The bear was up a tree, which is a good thing because essentially the bear's safe, people are safe and we're safe."

He explained that young bears "tend to move around" and that this one may have been in Newmarket a day earlier "and moved his way down here."

May figured the bear may have been spooked by a car horn and wandered into the neighbourhood, a couple of blocks east of the town's main intersection at Yonge and Wellington Sts.

It climbed about two-thirds of the way up a willow tree behind Dr. Dean McClelland's chiropractic office, where he and his wife live in an apartment upstairs.

"We woke up to sirens," he said, explaining they looked out the window to see police officers on the ground surrounding the tree where the bear was reclining.

"He was sitting there in a comfortable spot — and then the commotion ensued."

As a police helicopter hovered overhead, May and colleagues climbed ladders and gave the bear three jabs with the tranquilizer stick.

"It was pretty cool," said Janice Crike, who joined curious onlookers on The Wellington St. sidewalk. "It was a fun morning. They caught him, so he's safe now, so that's great."

May said the bear would be released into the wild north of Barrie after biologists are satisfied he's healthy and undamaged by the fall.

"It shows they can live amongst us quite well," he said, adding they can feed from bird feeders and composters homeowners keep in their yards.

"He just kinda showed up overnight," May explained. "Probably it was quiet, people had gone to bed and things were calm. Maybe someone honked a horn at him and the next thing he's on the run."

ce4896f94998860edab22a00af70.jpeg

WTF I'm From Aurora and not to Far from Wellington Street Oh snaps...

no way. o.o

I'll try to control myself next time, promise!

LAWL THERE IS A MEMFISS IN YO TREES XD

that bearser forgot to switch to flight form before he jumped out of the tree. onoes!!

hahaha! have you guys seen that show about the guy who chills with bears? i forget what its called but in the commercial his bear friend is actin up, so he PUNCHES THE BEAR IN THE FACE. and the bear is like =-[, sorry boss! that's badass.

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]