upgrading my gaming rig!

Krotas

So right now I'm running on a GeForce 8800 graphics card with a terabyte of memory, 4 gigs of RAM and an intel core 2 DUO processor.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a GeForce GTX 295. I'll also be getting a new disk drive since the one I have now appears to be broken (I might also have to upgrade my power source; I'm not sure if my current one will be able to handle a GTX 295). I don't need any more memory and I figure 4 gigs of RAM will be fine for another couple years. Does anyone have any input or advice to offer? I want to be sure I'm getting the right stuff before I go spend all that money >.<

Thanks!

Edited by Krotas

Also Krotas, I just recently made a whole new machine for myself with:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=10256912

I got a 1TB drive for storage/games, and the 80GB SSD is for OS/apps.

the 295 is awesome and all but the cost difference between that and the 285 can't be justified.

Wait for the new 300 series graphics cards to pop out if you're wanting something cutting edge :)

Thanks for the input shad! Also very nice stuff you got yourself =D WTH you going to do with 6 gigs of RAM? play wow and hello kitty at the same time? =P

Only 8? Get more monitors.

it's cause it's tri channel ram, he has to get either 3 or 6, he could get smaller sizes of memory but then he wouldnt be using it's full potential.

also lol a terabyte of memory, and 4 gigs of ram, thats like 1,004 gb of memory! oh wait you meant hard drive space.

I guarran-goddamn-tee that your core 2 duo is not going to be able to put that video card under load. You're going to have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more graphics card then you can use. Imo, a GTX275 is a better use of the money. Hell you could get 2 of those and run them in SLI, and spend less for the pair and get on par or better performance (if you can over clock at all you'd easily be able to exceede the performance level of that $500 card)

If you're serrious about heaping money into the 295 I'd HIGLY recomend upgraded your CPU. At least a core2 quad or better.

If you're serrious about heaping money into the 295 I'd HIGLY recomend upgraded your CPU. At least a core2 quad or better.

Which SOUNDS awesome, but quad cores still aren't really being utilized...

I have quad core 9550 running very smooth with ATI 4870 and 4 gig of RAM. 75 fps in Dalaran at max settings.

I have quad core 9550 running very smooth with ATI 4870 and 4 gig of RAM. 75 fps in Dalaran at max settings.

Compared to the 2fps I get on low settings with my poor decrepit old paperweight. I just had a h8 Aigle moment.

There, over it and back to my usual glass-half-full self! :D

Which SOUNDS awesome, but quad cores still aren't really being utilized...

Yeah, I'm running the Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz w/ 4GB of DDR2, and w/ my GeForce GTX260, I get >45fps in Dal, max settings @ 1920x1080. (Thanks to Ratava - D'ville's Hinanin ^_^)

You'd better be doing a hell of a lot more than playing WoW w/ a machine like that. Like Shad, for instance.

And Feanore. Where the hell are you?

sorry? why?

and thanks for the input all! (late replies are ftw)

sorry? why?

and thanks for the input all! (late replies are ftw)

Lol, for derailing your thread. That's why beer, Google images, and MS Paint are a bad combo! Or is it ftw? /shrug

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]