Donating Blood

dragonlgnd

Persistent infection that was not resolved through root canals and 2 surgeries. So they knocked my teeth out, scooped out the infection, and did a bone graft to replace missing bone.

This was done with local anesthetic that conveniently wore off partway through.

Thankfully I had my mom and mechamanda to take care of me for a few days!

Alternatively, I decided to take up competitive rock chewing.

So I have this abscess I've been putting off getting fixed, I'll schedule it for next week, thanks for the encouragement Scott!

i wuss out under two circumstances, tatttoos and living in germany between 1985-88. i think the tattoo thing applies only like a year or so after, and the germany thing i just kinda made up.

ps

shoulda told them to inject you with adamantium imo scott.

Edited by Erlin

This is also a way to find out what blood type you are, I didn't know until my first time I donated. I'm O Negative, which means I can donate to any other blood type, but can only receive from other type O's.

From Wikipedia

Red blood cell compatibility

* Blood group AB individuals have both A and B antigens on the surface of their RBCs, and their blood serum does not contain any antibodies against either A or B antigen. Therefore, an individual with type AB blood can receive blood from any group (with AB being preferable), but can donate blood only to another type AB individual.

* Blood group A individuals have the A antigen on the surface of their RBCs, and blood serum containing IgM antibodies against the B antigen. Therefore, a group A individual can receive blood only from individuals of groups A or O (with A being preferable), and can donate blood to individuals with type A or AB.

* Blood group B individuals have the B antigen on the surface of their RBCs, and blood serum containing IgM antibodies against the A antigen. Therefore, a group B individual can receive blood only from individuals of groups B or O (with B being preferable), and can donate blood to individuals with type B or AB.

* Blood group O (or blood group zero in some countries) individuals do not have either A or B antigens on the surface of their RBCs, but their blood serum contains IgM anti-A antibodies and anti-B antibodies against the A and B blood group antigens. Therefore, a group O individual can receive blood only from a group O individual, but can donate blood to individuals of any ABO blood group (ie A, B, O or AB). If anyone needs a blood transfusion in a dire emergency, and if the time taken to process the recipient's blood would cause a detrimental delay, O Negative blood can be issued.

And damn Scott, that was brutal, thank god you had a robot handy to help you out.

Edited by dragonlgnd

I run three blood drives a year in Carrollton =]

psst - who is durkastan!?

Awww, you forgot me already! (Cue Nat King Cole.... un...for....gettable....)

I PM'd you a while back about your loot system. :) Among other things, I'm a feral druid, a Canadian, a co-GM of Crown and a closet forum troll! Always had much love for FP, because you seem to put your friendships and in-game family before progression and loot. So on that point our guilds have something in common!

Apparently we have the same blood donation discrimination in Canada. From a recent CBC article:

Donating blood in Canada isn't for everyone. To keep blood supplies free of disease, various people are barred from giving blood. Fears of variant Creutzfeldt-Jacobs disease (vCJD) — the human version of mad cow disease — mean that people who've lived in Britain, France or Western Europe at certain times aren't allowed to donate. Controversially, so are men who've had sex with men, even once or protected, since 1977. That same fear of HIV/AIDS contamination drives other bans on people from southern African countries and places with high infection rates. Intravenous drug users and those who've had body piercings or tattoos also face restrictions and prohibitions.

It's awesome to hear others are donating (even just to kill time) , give me a call tomorrow if you are donating blood even if you aren't in Georgia, I wanna hear about it! Any GA people going out tomorrow give me a call also, so I'm not sitting around waiting for people to not come. I'm donating at 1pm , you don't actually need to make an appointment I think, but it helps.

Well, feeling left a little high and dry as I was the only one to go, no one even came to offer support or join in on some food afterwords! So after running and hiding in a corner the nurses there found me and robbed me of some precious life essence to aid others in living. Trev joined me for some Moe's after I got done.

I sent a text of my arm to some of you showing the aftermath, I totally forgot to bring a camera. Next time I can give is 05/30/09, so Ill be making another post to donate than also!

I got your photo, but um...yeah homo, and I dont live in Georgia.

It's odd, the question was "Have you had sex with another male after 1977" ... so those homo's out there who have fooled around before 1977 are good to go!

The AIDS outbreak in America wasn't really in full force/recognized by the CDC until '77. :)

apparently ignorance is the cure for aids

Well, feeling left a little high and dry as I was the only one to go, no one even came to offer support or join in on some food afterwords! So after running and hiding in a corner the nurses there found me and robbed me of some precious life essence to aid others in living. Trev joined me for some Moe's after I got done.

I sent a text of my arm to some of you showing the aftermath, I totally forgot to bring a camera. Next time I can give is 05/30/09, so Ill be making another post to donate than also!

heh. I was at Moe's eating when you sent that pic. I was donating sweat and manual labor yesterday so I couldn't spare the blood. Sorry. ^_^

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]