Amazing - Sign me up

Shadrende

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

There was a tech conference a while back that introduced this technology, but this is the Microsoft application of it. Let me tell you if everyday had technology like this even at a restaraunt it would be awesome. The credit card deal was too effin cool for words.

if the companies would actually upgrade their tables and hardware and hire the right staff to maintain the software too, unlikely to happen commercially imo.

meh, odds are in a couple years having table screens like that will b like a bar with TV's in it or those buzzers that go off when ur table is ready... aslong as microsoft doesn't screw this up like they have done... well... everything else.... =P

meh, odds are in a couple years having table screens like that will b like a bar with TV's in it or those buzzers that go off when ur table is ready... aslong as microsoft doesn't screw this up like they have done... well... everything else.... =P

That's mindblowing. I can't wait. That's one of those awesome things you see in futuristic movies. Except I haven't seen it in a movie, and it's hopefully going to be in the future. xD

Actually, I'd expect that in the near future you'd be able to go to a store like Home Depot and pickup, say, 30 yards of display for your wall or table. Computing is going to evolve into a more seamless integration of your day to day life, and the time you spend in front of a computer. It's already starting: Voice recognition, GPS, Portable Media, Cellular Technology, and now "Surface" just to name a few.

I think the ultimate goal as a hardware developer should be to design products that are as intuitive to use as a hammer, or a pencil. Just things you pickup and instantly know how to use. Technology shouldn't be this abstract, distant concept that confuses people. It should be so simple to use that your great grandmother should be able to pick up your laptop be able to post videos on You-Tube w/o you having to show her how.

Does a piece of paper have a 404 error? No, and for these things to progress to the level they are capable of neither can your interface. That should be where we are heading as a field.

wow, thats amazing to actually see that.

I remember seeing videos of a prototype version being displayed at last years TED conference (which to me still looks way cooler than Microsofts rear-projection table). At the time it wasn't owned by Microsoft, though (or at least not presented as a MS product). I assume they opened their Scrooge McDuck style piggy banks to buy it up from the Media Research Laboratory.

Kev, you're partially right. This won't be commercially viable any time soon. In 5 to 10 years though I would expect to see it in retail applications, especially in countries like Japan and Korea. In the mean time it will probably be used more for industry use. Cartographers, military, architects, engineers, graphic design, anyone that can afford to spend $10k per unit.

Edit: actually MS's table is a different project, just really similar. MRL's table has been in commercial production for a year now. The developer's company, Perceptive Pixel, has been selling them. The CIA's already installed a lot of them. lawl

As far as I know they are looking to start selling these by the end of the year for home use. Comercially I couldn't see early adpoters unless it went with the theme of a new place of business. Plus there is the fun issue of having compatible devices for Surface as well........ :)

Actually, I'd expect that in the near future you'd be able to go to a store like Home Depot and pickup, say, 30 yards of display for your wall or table. Computing is going to evolve into a more seamless integration of your day to day life, and the time you spend in front of a computer. It's already starting: Voice recognition, GPS, Portable Media, Cellular Technology, and now "Surface" just to name a few.

I think the ultimate goal as a hardware developer should be to design products that are as intuitive to use as a hammer, or a pencil. Just things you pickup and instantly know how to use. Technology shouldn't be this abstract, distant concept that confuses people. It should be so simple to use that your great grandmother should be able to pick up your laptop be able to post videos on You-Tube w/o you having to show her how.

Does a piece of paper have a 404 error? No, and for these things to progress to the level they are capable of neither can your interface. That should be where we are heading as a field.

I know you meant to say Lowe's instead of Home Depot... right?

I have been playing with speech recognition for a while now. I taught my computer to recognize Spanish words that sound similar to English words. The wonders you can do when you have waaay to much time in your hands.

I actually spoke that to word and then copied it to mozzilla using voice commands...

it took longer than I would have wanted to....

I had seen this on a tech show the was telling about an expo from a while back the co. wasn't MS and the tablet (not a table) was see thru and you could see thru it and watch the guy playing with it from either side. I found it to look much cooler then what MS has come up with and always thought that flat tablet type with the see thru technology to be way cool. It wasn't shown as advanced as this and I would be more willing to bet that they took the idea from this company and ran with it. HP has a touch screen computer on the market already and I would be willing to bet that the tech will start hitting the more high end establishments within the next 2-3 years.

As for Microsoft. I think they are using this as a way to be a player in the hardware market not only the software end they are known for.

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]