Online resources for game development

Noreaster

So I got a client that wants to get into some sort of game development through online courses. I steered her away from Westwood online college because it looked like a degree factory, and was wondering if there's anything good out there.

I went to SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) where I got my degree in Game Development. It's definitely a solid school but it's private so it will cost you quite a bit. The curriculum contains a fair amount of traditional art with the major leaning towards the art side as well. The amount of courses really started to expand while I was there into programming, level scripting, writing, etc. Since I graduated back in May they added a more programmer/design based track which I really would have wanted to take. They offer pretty much everything online through eLearning/Blackboard.

http://scad.edu/interactive-design-and-gam...pment/index.cfm

A lot of good student games come out of USC and Digipen but I'm not sure they offer courses online (Digipen is absurdly expensive as I recall).

Edited by Beornwarrior

You really have to like Physics and Math (hello Calculus). If you can't stand either of these maybe go for an art/model designer (Photoshop/3dsmax)? Otherwise you will not get very far. I took two grad level 3D graphics classes my senior year in college because I thought it would be fun. They were far the most interesting yet hardest classes I ever took in my life. Whenever I watch a Pixar movie I can literally see the Matrix code behind it now :P

I would tell your client to start taking some Physics/Calc courses online. Otherwise he could look online into XNA which is Microsoft's game development framework for XBox (I think it runs on PC games too). I think the industry is way too specialized and is so full of very smart people that is probably why you will never really many online game development courses. Just stick to playing :)

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]