Get out of wireless service contract

Shadrende

Anyone successfully about to get out of paying early termination fees for their cell phone provider? I've heard a bunch of methods but want to be sure before I try it out. I hear you can dispute admin fees, say your area isnt covered, but have no idea what actually works. Anyone done this?

There are always clauses saying if you move out of their service area you can get out of all the fees, however, last time my cousin tried this it asked for proof (a bill sent to the new address or something) prior to canceling service. Shiki is right though, go into the store and ask the guys there. They can be helpful getting you out of paying that crap if they aren't pricks.

I can write you a set of orders to Afghanistan and you can use that to get out early. That's what I always do.

... we need to talk >.> /stillhasayearonacraptasticcontract

Been trying to get out of my AT&T contract for months so I could get an iPhone (which yes would require another contract x_x) but had no luck. I even tried emailing the president of the wireless division. Some chick from a special branch of their customer service called back that day, but I couldn't manage to get out it.

Try searching for your carriers name on consumerist.com for ways to get out of a contract.

You cant get another ATT contract while you have one BW? Thats weird.

Jon just got an Iphone and broke his current contract. Good move IMO!

I was reading an article about this women having problems with her mortgage, I forget the actual problem. But basically she asked to see the original signed contract to prove the bank owned her home... Uh oh bank... Because of all the bulk selling of mortgages sometimes the paperwork gets lost and isn't really owned by who you think it does.

So, ask to see the original paperwork, see what happens.

Yeah I tried a bunch of different stuff. They told me at sprint all their new contracts say they aren't liable if you move and they cant provide service. All the more reason to pay them and gtfo. oh well! /iPhone

My mom successfully got out her contract with T-Mobile. She was not able to get service in our house and said she was not going to pay for something that she was not getting. They made her try a bunch of different things, like new phone and some other things, but she still could not get service in the house. After trying a bunch of different options, T-Mobile said she could cancel the contract and she now is with Verizon. (Yay! Verizon!) :-)

So maybe you could try that. Just keep telling them that you no longer get a signal in your house and keep telling them that. They should let you cancel your contract without any fees. At least that's what happened with my mom. :-)

android is the way of the future!

or the palm pre

You cant get another ATT contract while you have one BW? Thats weird.

No they won't give me the discount price on the phone until my contract is almost expired. The earliest I can do that is 3/28 x_x

Purple lotus > iPhone

wtf is that? some kinda sextoy? I don't think you're using the vibrate on the phone as intended

Edited by Hykos

Here is a very very good tip.

I work for Rogers Communications in the iPhone/Wireless divisions.

Ask to speak to Customer Relations/Retention, tell them you are very dissatisfied with the service, tell them some BS about how your phone drops calls and for shits and giggles, say you have a Nokia and your service center number keeps falling out of your phone (anyone in wireless will know what that means).

Works everytime

And also, to get an iPhone while still in contract, speak to customer relations/retention as well, they'll be eager to get you out of contract to make an iPhone sale. Just make sure you get a 4000-series sim card or you won't get 3g service.

No they won't give me the discount price on the phone until my contract is almost expired. The earliest I can do that is 3/28 x_x

Pst - I think that's because the discount price is there to lure you into a contract. They already have you in the boat, so what do they care? :cool:

What if you accuse them of a terrorist plot? Or maybe threaten terrorist acts against them? You could just kindof vaguely introduce terrorism into the discussion, and then go one way or the other depending on which seems more terrifying!

I've been having plenty of fun going round and round with Sprint. The persistence has paid off though. Two weeks ago they knocked off 220 dollars off of what they said I owed. I asked why they knocked off the money owed and they told me they did it just because it was at their discretion to do so.

I also got 200 taken off for a phone they said I didn't return. They tried to charge me for it so I disputed it and after going to three different people they erased the charge.

Also had a dispute on the SMS messages (Ringtones etc...) that come to the other phone on my bill. I went through about five levels of people at Sprint, but finally got an American and she erased about 20 charges from my bill that were 9.99 apiece.

After all that they decided that since I've been a customer since June of 2001 that the starting price on any phone I want will be what the internet price is after all of their listed rebates. The woman I talked to told me to just call cancellations and they'll negotiate with me on a phone and will give me a lower price than the after rebate internet price due to the length of time I've been a customer. I think I'll wait until they get down to near zero on the phone cost to inform them that they'll have to give me one of those 700 dollar phones for free due to also needing to knock off another 150 dollars because I've gone 18 months without getting a new phone. Sprint is fun to deal with. :)

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]