Wow just wow!!!!!

Shean

It's a shame that there isn't enough strong parenting out there that would negate the need for this type of measure.

So much I could say about this topic, but I dare say the majority of it would be inflammatory, so I'm keeping schtum instead.

The problem could easily be solved if the parents said something al la:

"No you can't eat that you fat little bastard. You were adopted and unloved, now get your fat ass on the playground you twinkie eating hellion.

The problem could easily be solved if the parents said something al la:

"No you can't eat that you fat little bastard. You were adopted and unloved, now get your fat ass on the playground you twinkie eating hellion.

Hi I'm Mr X, and I support this message!

In the spirit of full disclosure I also support this message too:

Tea and cake or DEATH!

Rather than ban the happy meal, why not require them to have a healthy happy mean option? That way the parents can decide if they want their kid to have a burger or a salad. The kid would still get the toy either way and McDonald's would still get its money.

Rather than ban the happy meal, why not require them to have a healthy happy mean option? That way the parents can decide if they want their kid to have a burger or a salad. The kid would still get the toy either way and McDonald's would still get its money.

Because that's a logical, moderate option. Obviously no place for that here, Gryph. 8)

As a proud parent in California this is straight ridiculous, though I guess it's no worse then some of the health options other states have taken. New York banned a type of fat, that is generally used in Krispy Kreme donuts among many other things.

People are ridiculous, bad parenting is sky rocketing to the point where the law is stepping in to make people look like better parents. Or at least try. If my little boy wanted a toy from mcdonalds I would just buy him the toy, not the crazy fattening meal every weekend. It's like a dollar and a half to save your kid from being a fat ass? I could do that sorry guys.

There is actually a healthy option -sorta. You can get apple slices instead of fries, chicken nuggets instead of a burger ( Yea, I know, but it's still better then the burger). When parents decide not to pick healthy , it's their own damn fault.

People taking responsibility for their actions? This is America dammit, and we will have none of that.

when ever gov. tries to step in and fix a problem for the people, a problem that the people clearly dont want to touch,the people will have a problem with it, cause nobody wants to be reminded that what they are doing is wrong,or do anything to fix it their selves, lol, its the american way, complain there is a problem, and when the gov. tries to fix it, they say wtf gov. leave us alone and stay out of our business, childhood obesity:

in this instance, i agree with this town, the toy in the happy meal is a gimick used to sell the happy meal, obesity in this county is wayyyyy out of control, its so far out of control, that there are organizations that lobby for obese rights, it soo bad that eating healthy has become a "life style choice" and the prices to buy such food are ever increasing, bottle of water is 2.50, bottle of soda 1.25, you body is a machine, you put bad shit in it its gonna fuck up and breakdown, that belly you got didn't grow overnight, lol, you lvled that that extra weight, and the parents of obese children should be fined for neglect and endangerment, lol, in the video the townswomen that spoke up about it, was ,, umm a bit overweight herself,

ps, here is the #1 weight loss tip, and its guaranteed to work, :dont eat processed food:

sorry for the rant,

Not really a rant Paigow when it's a heartfelt plea for some sanity, sense and ownership of a growing problem. In an attempt to avoid getting on my own soap box I shall finish my post by saying that I wholeheartly agree with your sentiment of avoiding processed foods. It might appear a little more expensive at times, but the quality of food is unparalleled and frankly it just tastes so much better when you freshly prepare!

that belly you got didn't grow overnight, lol, you lvled that that extra weight, and the parents of obese children should be fined for neglect and endangerment, lol, in the video the townswomen that spoke up about it, was ,, umm a bit overweight herself,

ps, here is the #1 weight loss tip, and its guaranteed to work, :dont eat processed food:

I really do agree with the sentiments about parents who are powerlevelling their kids into stay puff marshmallow people. it borders on neglect. i mean there is concrete evidence as to the effects of obesity on health. anyhooo.....

a friend and myself are starting business plans to open a healthy food oriented eat in-take out restaurant here on long island. have a menu full of healthy stuff, not necessarily organics but healthy nonetheless. with a fresh juice/smoothie bar in it. etc. more expensive yes, but people here are looking for healthy alternatives that will not interefere with their current lifestyle or eating patterns, and are willing to fork over a few extra dollars to not need a triple bypass at 50. i know i've been looking for something like that.

and not the 2 menu items on mcdonalds menu where if you take the sauce off and used grilled chicken,

it's somewhat healthy. few.

have you all seen the new KFC chicken gangbang? doubledown.jpg

one last thing: get the book. Eat to Live - by Joel Fuhrman

it educates you about your body in the sense that it is a machine (like someone mentioned in an earlier post) and how what you put in it is a direct relation to what you get from it.

While I push for my child to eat healthy, and I mean to eat healthy myself. I drool over that double down every time I see a picture. I will eat, OH YES!, I will... and suffer... oh the sweet sweet suffering Ill be going through.

Want to know what I've eaten today? A diet Coke and some pumpkin seeds. By the way, I'm fat. My child is almost 8 years old.. damn near 5 feet tall, and built the same way I am, so, by society's standards, he is also fat. The extent of his fast food consumption is *maybe* once a week if we're out shopping and can't get home OR if it's Friday night and I refuse to cook we'll order a pizza or Chinese food. He refuses to go trick-or-treating on Halloween. His Easter basket has been nearly untouched since it was given to him. He also has ADD, so 90% of the time he's trying to find a way to get away from the table and not touch his dinner at all. He loves fruits and vegetables.. and on the rare occasion he DOES get a happy meal, it's all about the toy. He'll take one bite of his burger and eat 3 fries and say he's done. Is his being fat my fault? Of course it is. I procreated and passed along the same genes that I was blessed with. From what I can tell it goes back at least 4 generations to my great grandparents on my mother's side of the family. All of their female children (all 5 of them) were 5' 11" or taller and sturdy German women. Back in the late 1800's and early 1900's they'd be considered healthy. These days they'd be 'obese'. I've also been blessed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). It not only affects hormonal balance, but insulin/blood sugar regulation and (dundundunnnnn) metabolism. It is literally 5 times more difficult for someone with PCOS to lose 1 pound, than someone that's considered "normal". I'll start paying fines for my fat ass when they make procreating and passing on predispositions a crime, but not until.

Like it or not there are some unique snowflakes out there that you can't cram into the 'They're overweight because they eat too much and don't exercise' category. I had a cousin that was about as big around as my pinky finger.. she ate like a sparrow.. and was on the verge of a quadruple bypass because her cholesterol was so out of control. Both of her parents were dead of heartattacks at young ages. Why is it, we ask for family histories of cancer, but when it comes to how big they all are, well, that can be controlled so we throw it out the window as an excuse? After I had my son (because we were poor at the time as well) I was told to go to these 'how to have a healthy child' meetings so I would qualify for health insurance >.>.. Having 7 siblings I obviously needed to be told how to take care of my own child, right? My son was on soy formula, as he had an allergy to regular formula. To have this person weigh and measure him at 6 months of age and tell me my child 'shouldn't be this big based on what he's eating'.. I wanted to club her to death with her clipboard. All you have to do is take one look at me.. my mother.. my grandmother.. MY GREAT grandmother.. and you know why he's a big boy. Because he's predisposed to be. That's not an excuse for him to eat nothing but grease and sugar all day long, and he doesn't.

Yes, there are people with food issues. Yes there are parents who do nothing but throw their kids junk food and call it good. But to make an entire community pay for others shortcomings.. Well.. I guess it's the new thing to do. One bad apple spoils the tree after all. Society sickens me with how much emphasis it puts on body image. If you're not thin, you're unhealthy. In this wonderful world we live in there is no such thing as being 'fat' AND 'healthy'.. God forbid that's possible EVER. I mean.. just look at eating disorders. Overeaters get snickered at and told to go on a diet... Anorexia and bulimia.. those are serious! OMG! Just as an aside.. the next time you feel the need to call someone fat as an insult.. think real long and hard about it. It's like telling a quadraped they can't walk. Trust me, they know and probably don't need you flinging something that they deal with every single effing day of their lives thrown in their face like it's something new. Nah, I'm not bitter.. I was never teased as a child.. .. really hope you can feel the sarcasm there cause I'm layin' it on pretty thick.

I may or may not be PMSing at the moment. Pardon my wall of text.

<3 Memphis..

As with everything on the face of the earth, there are exceptions, and I'll be the first person to say that generalizations are never right, because it is impossible to lump everyone into any one category, so if my post came off that way, it didnt mean to.

I think what myself and the other posters are referring to is the concrete evidence that 90% of fast food is horrible and devoid of any substantial nutrition, and referring to the direct causal relationship of the food to the instances of *avoidable* obesity.

Yes, there are all the correlationals as far as sedentary lifestyles and lack of time to buy and prepare healthy food at home, but i have found that when confronted with these issues, there are a lot of excuses and not reasons for these lifestyles. I see people that say its too expensive to eat healthy and takes too long to go shopping and prepare, then they go buy a giant flatscreen and sit around watching it.

anyhoo.. there really is no argument out there as far as the current epidemic this country is facing regarding obesity and the health problems that stem from it and the increasing costs of health care. I guess this conversation could go on forever, but I just went to Jamaica and the contrast made me almost nauseous.

ok that was written over a perious of about 2 hours in 5 min. increments between doing stuff at work. i hope that was somewhat coherent. =D

i just wanna open my restaurant and see what happens.

All I gotta say is.. I just re-read that and it sounded way angrier than I intended at the time ><" I pretty much meant all of it, but still. I've spent my entire life being treated differently because of the way I look. When I was young, people assumed I was half black because of how dark my father was, and how dark my own skin was. I remember clear as day.. at the end of the year when I was in Kindergarten we had a grade-wide picnic. It didn't dawn on me that people were looking at me strangely because my dad was there until a classmate came right out and asked me if he was black. I was 5!.. I was in a room full of children that at some point had been taught that looking different was not okay. WTF is that? I didn't understand it back then.. and as I got older.. and bigger, that same treatment kept right on coming. I didn't look like everyone else. I didn't dress the way they did. My hair wasn't styled to their satisfaction. To this day I will not wear shorts, t-shirts, or bathing suits in public. Oh sure, they make kids watch videos about bullying in school now.. good f'ing luck with that.

To me, seeing an action like that taken on an entire county.. at the heart of it they're telling these people 'It's not okay to be fat no matter what'. It's teaching these kids it's not okay to look different. People do need to be educated on what's good for your body, and what's bad for it. I know that smoking will eventually kill me.. I still do it. That's what addiction is.. it's how I 'self medicate' my stress. A fraction of those obese people do the same thing, but they do it with food. Too much bad food can kill you just as easily as a cigarette can. How many kids out there do you think are self medicating themselves with food because it's the only thing that makes their emotional issues 'feel better'?

Can you imagine the outrage if it were 'It's not okay to be black' happened.. oh wait >.> that DID happen. That still does happen in certain places.. same thing goes for being gay.. or being handicapped..

Discrimination is not okay. Period. Pretty sure we can all agree on that part of it.

Also, I really hope that restaurant thing works out for you KP! =)

Calories in > Calories burned => Weight gain.

And yeah, call me a flaming liberal or whatever, but parents who stuff their kids with ho-hos because they've trained the kid to be addicted to sugar and now it's a fight to make them eat anything else... I wouldn't say that's bordering on neglect.

I wonder, what would the landscape be like if full-on junk food was treated like alcohol and cigarettes, made illegal until a child reaches the age of majority? I mean, obviously it wouldn't prevent them from rushing out to McDs on their 18th birthday... But at the same time, how many would have learned to appreciate healthy eating? Not to mention just plain getting a good start - A better chance at being healthy throughout their life?

Edited by Fatherpeteus

I love you Memphis, you're like my second mom, so any time you're heart, or angry it hits real close to home for me. I get entirely where you're coming from, I'm always annoyed when people come at the way I'm raising my child. Any usage of the word fat, too fat, or too skinny drives me crazy. Both me and Alexis not only have very fast metabolisms but Alexis is a very small girl all around, and I am SUPER thin. I eat like the generic American I won't lie. I am far from healthy, I eat two to three semi-large meals a day, and I snack in between them. I drink soda, I love cookies, and I'll eat the holy JESUS out of some potato chips, and I'm about 5 pounds away from being underweight. My son is very thin, and very long, he's going to be tall and lanky, and I have no doubt people will call me out on bad parenting. Unlike your situation though, I will surely face less torment then you did, and honestly that's not even right.

Anyways I digress it comes down to not just parenting, but the lack of knowledge of the so called special snowflakes.

ALSO IF YOU CALL YOURSELF FAT AGAIN I WILL FLY OUT THERE AND WHOMP YOUR A-DOUBLE-S YOU ARE MY AMAZING MEMPHIS AND DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!!! I'LL MESS A FOOL UP!

It reaffirms my faith in humanity when threads like this crop up. So thank you.

@Sauce, you're a lucky guy. If I were to do the same I'd be several hundred pounds, well truth be told I already am (about 275lbs) but fortunately I have the height and broad shoulders to help me carry it.

@Memph, I've been there as a child. If it wasn't my weight, it was my height getting me in trouble with my peers as a child. I'm blessed that I didn't let the little bastards grind me down, and in fact I think their malice actually drove me to be a much better person. There's so much I could say on the issue of bad apples spoiling the tree, but I think I'll just round up my feelings by saying; "Natural Selection isn't selective or fast enough!"

@Father, that's an interesting though about putting an age restriction on that type of food; I'd have to say that I'd vote for it. Even as a child, I'd have voted for it.

New York banned a type of fat, that is generally used in Krispy Kreme donuts among many other things.
I meant to comment on this earlier... trans fat occurs rarely and in trace amounts in nature and was never intended (hello mother nature) for regular consumption. I agree with the ban. screw msg while we're at it.

Wiki Trans fat Unlike other dietary fats, trans fats are not essential, and they do not promote good health.[1] The consumption of trans fats increases the risk of coronary heart disease[2] by raising levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol and lowering levels of "good" HDL cholesterol.[3] Health authorities worldwide recommend that consumption of trans fat be reduced to trace amounts. Trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils are more harmful than naturally occurring oils.[4]

fyi: On January 1, 2008, Calgary became the first city in Canada to ban trans fats from restaurants and fast food chains.

Denmark became the first country to introduce laws strictly regulating the sale of many foods containing trans fats in March 2003, a move which effectively bans partially hydrogenated oils.

Switzerland followed Denmark's trans fats ban, and implemented its own beginning in April 2008.

Boston did ban the sale of foods containing artificial trans fats at more than 0.5 grams per serving, which is similar to the New York City regulation

Oh Saucebby, you know I love you <3 But I gotta call myself like I see it.. Did I ever tell you about the time I had my first waitressing job? I never ate anything from the place I worked at.. I'd come home and have a bowl of cereal and that's basically what I had for the entire day.. I went shopping for pants 6 months later and ended up having to get then 4 sizes smaller than what I was used to. Point is, I didn't even know I'd lost any weight because I couldn't see it. Turned out to be about 60 lbs. I was also extremely unhealthy, I felt terrible, and I looked even worse.

That's also the same time I started taking birthcontrol pills. I had stopped taking them a few times for a couple months here and there and that's about the time I ended up pregnant =P so after Hank was born I went back on them.. then after I messed up my back and figured it would be best to 'get fixed' so I didn't end up paralyzed, the surgeon told me I didn't need to take them anymore.

Fast forward 6 months .. I was so depressed I wanted to die. Literally. Could've offed myself like it was no big thing. I'd also gained 40 lbs for no reason.. I wasn't doing anything differently. So I go back and see the guy that operated on me.. he runs some blood tests.. comes back to tell me that 'some numbers were elevated, but they're not in the *range of concern* just yet.. I'm sure in a year or 2 it'll be something to act on'. I talked to my cousin about it, and she flat out told me to go and see her OB-GYN. So, I go to see her doctor.. and of course the other guy didn't bother to send my records over. I repeated the numbers from the blood work that I could remember (which was quite a bit) and just from that, and the list of symptoms she basically confirmed what I already knew. I was the proud owner of a hereditary syndrome. The same one that made my then 30 year old sister have a hysterectomy. My younger sister will never have children. My cousin was on fertility drugs in order to have her 3 boys. Hank was a miracle baby. Every female in my family from my generation has this disorder. Only one of them is 'thin'. Here's a little break down of what happens.

approximately 60% of women with PCOS have weight management issues which can lead to obesity with only normal caloric intake. Energy in the form of glucose (food) is stored right away as fat, instead of being made available for other functions within the body. This can lead to chronic fatigue and undernourishment, despite the fact that there is adequate food intake and even an appearance of overnourishment.

PCOS can progress to diabetes, and can also lead to certain forms of cancer if unaddressed.

Between 1 in 10 and 1 in 20 women of childbearing age has PCOS. As many as 5 million women in the United States may be affected. It can occur in girls as young as 11 years old.

5 to 10% of females in the US have this.

I have an actual meal (not a binge) once a day. I'm on a medication that hasn't been approved by the FDA to treat *this*, but it HAS been approved to treat diabetics. It helps.. but I have to do it in cycles or it makes me ill. I'm also supposed to be taking a birthcontrol pill even though I can't have children. I've stopped taking it because of the mass amounts of warnings that have come out from this particular pill, and I'm pretty sure it's what caused my gall bladder to act up enough to need to be removed.

Hormones control a whole lot more than just whether females are cranky a week out of the month and how manly any man is.

PCOS-type manifestations are not limited to women. Indeed, male relatives may suffer from insulin resistance, obesity, diabetes mellitus, and cardiovascular disease. Therefore, recognition of this syndrome in men is important.

Did I happen to mention my brother has diabetes, a blood disorder, and DVT?

My friend Kellie is vegan. She has this same disorder. She is 'overweight'.

So we take the high female factor of 10%.. add the male population that probably doesn't recognize the symptoms.. and you've got a decent sized base of fat people that aren't just fat from what they consume.

Right now, for me to lose any weight I have to be on hormone balancing medications until I reach a point where my body can balance them on it's own.. but even that hinges on severity.

As a side note, kids are mean. Plain and simple. I've gotten past what those little bastards did to me.. doesn't mean I don't think about it when I see a child being teased or treated badly. It just makes me pray that karma kicks in.

I meant to comment on this earlier... trans fat occurs rarely and in trace amounts in nature and was never intended (hello mother nature) for regular consumption. I agree with the ban. screw msg while we're at it.

Wiki Trans fat Unlike other dietary fats, trans fats are not essential, and they do not promote good health.[1] The consumption of trans fats increases the risk of coronary heart disease[2] by raising levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol and lowering levels of "good" HDL cholesterol.[3] Health authorities worldwide recommend that consumption of trans fat be reduced to trace amounts. Trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils are more harmful than naturally occurring oils.[4]

fyi: On January 1, 2008, Calgary became the first city in Canada to ban trans fats from restaurants and fast food chains.

Denmark became the first country to introduce laws strictly regulating the sale of many foods containing trans fats in March 2003, a move which effectively bans partially hydrogenated oils.

Switzerland followed Denmark's trans fats ban, and implemented its own beginning in April 2008.

Boston did ban the sale of foods containing artificial trans fats at more than 0.5 grams per serving, which is similar to the New York City regulation

If you want to get REALLY technical there's A LOT they should ban with the logic of "we weren't meant to eat that" in mind. The point is that ALL things in moderation aren't so bad, it's just the matter of moderation. People say alcohol is bad for example, but a beer a day helps prevent cancer as it was clinically proven hops are ridiculously good for your body. Wine is good for the heart if I remember correctly, and weed is used to help cancer patients among many other deadly illness victims calm and happy. It's just the matter of HOW you handle things. I personally love me a Krispy Kreme donut from time to time, and while I don't eat them like it's going out of style I don't need any food "banned" from me. Also I don't trust anything that health authorities tell me after they had the balls to tell me Milk was good for me, and then tell me that Milk could cause serious problems later in life if I consumed too much of it.

Straight up no one knows diddly squat about health, because not everyone's health is the same, what's good for one person could be toxic for another, it's a matter of lifestyle, genetics, and mental will that determines what is healthy and what isn't for you in my honest opinion. If I ate like I probably should, and lived the lifestyle I am right now, I would probably be underweight and unhealthy because I don't gain weight easily, and when I DID eat healthy I lost just under 20 pounds in a month and a half or so. I can't afford to lose that kind of weight at 6'1 and just about 150 pounds or so.

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]