> F---ing Void Rays

Fatherpeteus
post Jul 30 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #1
Group: FP Member
ub3r l337
Dwarf Priest
Armory Link
So, lucky Beta guys - How is anyone supposed to deal with massed void rays? I don't know the zerg units yet, but I haven't had any luck countering them with human even when I know they are coming (and don't see that Protoss have any great answer).

I'm not talking about an early 4-VR rush that can be countered with marines... I'm talking late in a 3v3 ladder game when some guy emerges from his turtle with 30+ of them to start killing all of our expansions, and my battlecrusiers, thors etc just pop like zits against their frigging stupid overcharge beams before they can even get off a blast.

You'd think that fighters would be the answer, but last game I had about as many fighters as he had VRs and I think I killed about 5. Are you supposed to use that Raven seeking missle thingie? Massing Ravens is a pretty expensive/low return proposition, imo.

...not that I'm frustrated or anything... icon_wink.gif

By the way, there must be a site somewhere that has a list of units with "This is what they are good at / This is how to counter them", but I haven't found it yet. Any great finds?
Profile CardPMGo to the top of the page+Quote Post

stangmeister
post Jul 30 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #2
Group: Guardian
Stangerang
Night Elf Priest
Armory Link
Hey I know your pain, we had to deal with VR's a lot in Beta. Mostly rushes though.

When VR's get fully charged, especially a lot of them, it's really hard to stop them. They are armored air units and while strong, die pretty quick.

If you are zerg, mutas+hydras work wonders as the muta does splash dmg and hydras own them. Another plus is (if they don't have the upgrade) you can try and fly away to get their charge back to 0.

Terrans have to use marines, marines and more marines with a vew vikings thrown in there and maybe a thor or two. EMP will also help a great deal.

Protross can counter pretty easily with Stalkers as they can blink under them and get firing before they can get fully charged. But yeah, Stalkers/Sentries with guardian shield up will rip them up, just have to have an equal/greater amt (food wise) of army.

--------------------

Fatherpeteus
post Jul 30 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #3
ub3r l337
Dwarf Priest
Armory Link
Ah, I don't use EMP nearly enough (i.e. I don't think I've used it yet in a team game!)

Used to love Lockdown in SCI, but the new-look ghost is great for long / big mass games!

Coeus
post Jul 31 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #4
ub3r l337
Basically what Stang said.

I also have a really hard time stopping them, but the simple solution is to not let them get that many. If you see them turtle, find a way to bust open an entrance before they're ready. Medivacs to drop stuff in, nydus worms, etc.

If they do get them, as terran, some good viking micro can help. Vikings have a bigger range so they can sort of kite them. But mostly, a lot of marines. The biggest part of this is, scout out what they're doing, so you can plan ahead and switch as needed. To counter THAT many voids, you're going to need an even bigger mass of something, and you can't do that as they're knocking down your door.

--------------------
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

"Think of how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that."
-George Carlin

Rogthane
post Jul 31 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #5
Group: Councilor
amateur
Human
Armory Link
In terms of breaking a turtle, I recommend Banshees as terran- cloaked bombers, relatively cheap fliers- they can be hard to counter, and 6 of them makes short work of most defenses. That will at least buy you time to gather up the vikings/marines to stop the VRS.

I guess another counter to VRs is just more VRs, but at that point, it's kinda silly. Yay for two cents!

--------------------
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." - Robert Heinlein
"I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." -Groucho Marx

Fatherpeteus
post Aug 1 2010, 01:05 AM
Post #6
ub3r l337
Dwarf Priest
Armory Link
Yeah... I've actually beaten good-sized mobs of VRays a couple of times now.

Unfortunately RT ladder games aren't much better than WC3 was, with most games featuring at least one ally who has no idea what is going on... That makes the idea of breaking a turtle extra-tricky, because it's likely to end up being me against all of them. Sometimes I can make that work... lol
(I always say "Yeah, our ally sucks, but you never know what problems the other team has!)

Banshees are my best trick for those 1 vs 3 games - Combined with some sneaky fighters to pick off the Raven or Overseer detector they were counting on, then the Banshees go to town on the massed Thors while the n00bs panic futilely! icon_biggrin.gif

Amusing Terran (personal) discovery - Medivacs can carry a Thor! lol @ a Sikorsky Skyhook carrying Optimus Prime!

Man, I played a couple of games vs the AI as zerg today - I have a lot to learn there! They are so different from the original version, with all of the new units and abilities. Damn mutating zerg!

Soma
post Aug 1 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #7
Group: Councilor
Makes clams happy
Night Elf Druid
Armory Link
F'n void rays, how do they work?

--------------------

SutterKain
post Aug 1 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #8
amateur
Night Elf Rogue
Armory Link
Protoss FTW!!! LoL

--------------------

Oli
post Mar 22 2011, 06:20 AM
Post #9
forum n00b
Night Elf Hunter
Armory Link
I actually like to tech straight to air sometimes, if it's against zerg you just get 2x Phoenix and alternate Graviton Beams, snipe some Ovies and then pump out a couple Immos to fend of cheesy Hydra hard counter.

Oli
post Mar 22 2011, 06:21 AM
Post #10
forum n00b
Night Elf Hunter
Armory Link
Alternate Graviton and kill his Queen, that is.

Oli
post Mar 22 2011, 06:23 AM
Post #11
forum n00b
Night Elf Hunter
Armory Link
QUOTE (Soma @ Aug 1 2010, 09:05 AM) *
F'n void rays, how do they work?

Void Rays do more damage as their beams charge up. I believe they have 3 different 'levels' so for example; it does 3 dmg for the first 2 sec, then 6 dmg and after 6 seconds it does 9 dmg. So, they're shitty in the field, but if you can fly them in and charge up on a structure then kill SCVs it pretty much 1 shots them.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2018 - 06:06 PM
Invision Power Board skin developed by Transverse Styles