Midwest Sociological Society

Kornith

So, I'm gonna post this here, rather than boring ya'll in gchat. I'm also pretty sure I've mentioned this a few times before, and don't want to make you hear it again.

I'm currently working on a special project, which is probably going to end up being a thesis at some point (undergrad/grad). It's about social deviancy on the internet, and I'm using WoW as my focus. Specifically, I'm looking at gankers, campers, and trolls as deviants, and how they became the jerks they are today, whether it was internet or life circumstances.

I haven't done the IRB yet, so no research, but I will be presenting my project to the MSS on April 1st, 2010 in Chicago, at the annual conference. So, if you're interested and nearby, you can go to http://www.themss.org/index.html. You do need to be registered, though if you wander in I don't think anybody will really care that much.

Whee, I actually do academics!

-Kornith

hmmm im actually interested but is it an in-person type deal?

interested because basically my thesis for my masters in psychology was gonna be roughly on the addictiveness of video games

It is an in-person deal. Big meeting in Chicago, lots of schools, yada yada. That said, if you want to talk shop, feel free to drop me a tell. I've... run out of people to talk to about this irl...

that's actually really awesome. I'd totally go if i were in the area. I love this sort of stuff... (psychology major) but I don't live anywhere near chicago lol. Too bad you aren't presenting at EPA this year because I'll be attending that conference.

Sociology and anthropology are two subjects I'm very much interested in, though it's never been a course of formal study for me I'm more than happy to share and listen to discussion in this field. Once you have your presentation available, would you be adverse to posting it here for review? :)

-X

I'd be more than happy to post it here once I've got it hammered out. I'll also try to copy the discussion we have about it- I'm presenting at a round table, so there's going to be a lot of talking about it. I'll also make sure to have footnotes to explain all the soc-jargon :) Even I get a little lost sometimes.

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]