Donating Blood

dragonlgnd

There's a whole lot of reasons to donate blood. It's a way to help someone, to save a life. We've all known someone who received blood, after surgery/ etc. I like to donate blood as often as I can ( every 54 days a think) but I haven't for awhile due to so much going on. On Saturday April 4th 1pm, Ill be donating blood ( or blood platelets not sure yet) and wanted to toss the invite out to all FP in GA, come and join me to give, or just join me for support. You aren't a chicken for not giving, I still get scared a bit , until just after it finishes.

Anyone not in GA, go give too, let's make it a day, maybe take a picture or two of it and post it. To make an appointment go to www.givelife.org , it's a little wonky, but you can find a place to donate ( don't look for a blood drive though) .

Ill be giving at Duluth Donor Center 3090 Premiere Parkway Suite 500 Duluth, GA 30097, just off of Sugarloaf, close to the frontera , which I think Ill hit for lunch right afterwords, or some Chipotle not sure yet.

If you come to join, be sure to drink lots of water the day/night before, it makes it easier. I'd love to see a bunch of FPer's there giving, but the support would be nice too.

-DL

i'd like to be charitable and help out. i have a large collection of other peoples blood i'd be willing to donate

Observation: Isn't like, 1/2 of FP gay? :-P That means they cannnot donate. :-P

No only like 5 of us, the other 15 are still in the closet!

I'd love to go, but as was said they dont let homos donate blood. Its retarded, but thats what it is. Afraid we'll infect the kids with homo-ness maybe!

No only like 5 of us, the other 15 are still in the closet!

I'd love to go, but as was said they dont let homos donate blood. Its retarded, but thats what it is. Afraid we'll infect the kids with homo-ness maybe!

LOL

I <3 you Stang, no homo

That was epic.

Are you f*cking serious?

Besides a pair of chromosomes how is that any different than a... I better not, just know I think its really stupid.

Oh I know, its lame.

The rules state if you have ever had sex with a man who has had sex with a man, even once, ever, you cannot donate, ever.

Str8 blood is immune to the HIV or something? I dont know.

I remember that question on the form thing now. That's interesting that that removes you from donating , since they test the blood after it's been donated.

Well then, Stang, wanna meet up for lunch on that day then? Hopefully a few other FPer's will be there.

i used to be too underweight and a huge sissy, now i'm just a huge sissy. nothx.

enjoy getting poked!

Edited by lemontree

i used to be too underweight and a huge sissy, now i'm just a huge sissy. nothx.

enjoy getting poked!

-pokes-

What's up FPers!

I would donate blood buuuutttt.... apparently I might have mad cow disease.

The last time that I checked (a few years ago now), if you lived in the UK between 1998-2000 you are not allowed to give blood because of the possibility of mad cow lurking in your bloodstream from the tainted beef scandal.

Homos and mad cows unite? :)

Mooooooooo..................

Every time I give blood I either faint or throw up...

Observation: Isn't like, 1/2 of FP gay? :-P That means they cannnot donate. :-P

I absolutely hate that rule. Can't you just lie though?

i wish i am allowed to donate...../underweight

Seriously? A no-homo rule? That's the second most ridiculous thing I've seen today (

)

I think there's a party that night though. Doing shots a few hours after loosing a lot of blood may not be a good idea. It also may be an awesome idea. If that's the case count me in.

The drinks will hit you a bit harder, as I found this out at Dragoncon last year when I gave blood and have a redbull+jager.

Oh I know, its lame.

The rules state if you have ever had sex with a man who has had sex with a man, even once, ever, you cannot donate, ever.

Str8 blood is immune to the HIV or something? I dont know.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. I know several straight people that should have 'C&* DUMPSTER' tattooed on their foreheads that donate every chance they get.. So that rule is total BS.

The one time I donated plasma was about 10 years ago.. I have no problem with needles or anything like that, and all the while I was fine. I was a little woozy when it was done, but I was okay. It was early August and about 85 outside, but anyone that knows me, knows that I don't do short sleeves in public, even in a heatwave =P So I had a light sweater thing on over my tank top and as soon as I stepped outside into the heat it felt like my skin was boiling ><" I'm not really sure how I made it home because I don't really remember driving. For the next week I couldn't stand up without almost passing out, so I'd have to sit back down and try it over. I'm thinking I had some sort of reaction to the anti-coagulant they used.. which wouldn't surprise me because the only medicinal allergy I KNOW I have is to the inactive ingredient in some random birthcontrol pill I was on years ago lol. (Hives FTL)

I've been a little paranoid about giving blood because of this ^, that and my sister used to be a phlebotomist for the Red Cross and usually had some horror stories ><" It's nothing I can't get past, so thank you Justin for bringing this up. The next time there's a drive around here I'll try to go hand over some of my A- ^.^

I usually give blood atleast 4 times a year, however, I've never heard of the "anti-homo" rule. While being straight myself, it obviously doesn't affect me, but I find it outrageous that they would discriminate in that manner. It's my understanding that any blood collected through donations goes through a lot of scrutinizing and testing before it's ever used. I realize there is a "window period" with antibody testing for HIV specifically, but it's not as if that doesn't hold true for straight people as well.

Quite frankly, I can't see any valid reason why they shouldn't allow people in general to donate blood. It's an absolute shame that they would refuse to accept donations from someone based on their sexual preference, especially when the need for blood donations is so high. Facts are facts, any blood born disease can be contracted by people of any sexual preference, race, gender or age. Sorry for the mini-rant, but I'm honestly appalled to hear that such a rule even exists.

i'm anemic so i'm the one needing blood!!! they can't take my blood away!! damn hemo-pirates!!!

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]