Final Fantasy XIII anyone?

Killerpriest

anyone else a big FF fan? (i know, stupid question)

so i pick up the game fpr PS3 (if you have the option GET THE PS3 version - xbox360 plays the entire game at a lower resolution and since it's not blueray, it comes on 3 dvd's) and just as expected the graphics and sound are AMAZING. the graphics really are stunning. Im playing it on my JVC 37" 1080p lcd. the crystal forest was freekin amazing. I felt like i was going through the zone too quickly to appreciate the visuals. it was amazing.

anyhow.. i like the game a lot. its got a really cool combat system with customizable combat roles (healer, damage, tank, buffer, debuffer etc..) that you can preset and change on the fly which gives it a lot more substance than the typical turn-based or even active combat systems.

my one and only complaint so far is it is SOO LINEAR!! i LOVED FFX and even tho there was a path to follow, you could branch off and do side quests and so many different things. aside from a few games that i love for nostalgia purposes, like original Zelda, and windwaker, and other stuff, FFX is by far the game I enjoyed most and spent the most time on. So im a little dissappointed by the lack of that in FFXIII. I'm about 12-15 hours in, and from what I understand you can get through it in about 40 hours. Also there is no - once the game is beaten - replay the game mode - (does that make sense?)

oops, have work to do, ill finish this post later lol (@ work, l0l)

my one and only complaint so far is it is SOO LINEAR!!

this changes.

i'm 50~ hours in and about to beat it and yes, there's a ton of stuff to do (some that you can ONLY do) after you beat it.

I really like it. Definetly in my top 3 fav FF games. Im at the last savepoint before the final boss so I should beat it this weekend.

Granted it is linear but it keeps you enthralled in the story which is rather amazing. I really enjoyed 12 but it was so open I often found myself exploring and then trying to remember what i was doing in the story and where I had to go next.

But yah all in all its an amazing game and definitely recommend it for anyone with a PS3 looking for a good JRPG

Ill do a full on review once I finish it. So far though, I think I liked it more early on then later. I think it's a good game , but nothing great, it lacks many key elements of greatness as far as I'm concerned. The linear stuff works, but as far as I can see, this one is to the point of playing a movie, my game with differ very little to anyone else's , from the beginning to the end.

The way I like to rate things is based on whether or not I'd buy the game again if I lost it. At the current point I'm at, I wouldn't re-buy it, even though I'm not even done with it yet.

ben and i have both beaten it, and i'd have to say even if our gameplay didn't differ much, our approaches did. i refused to use hope until the last boss(es) and didn't use a sentinel until the last area. ben was a lot more fluid with his party choices while my stubborn ass stuck with lightning, sazh, and vanille for 90% of the time. now that it's beaten is where i suspect we'll part ways, there's SO MUCH CRAP to do after the story that i don't even know where to start.

Don't have a lot of time right now so I'll write something a bit later, but in a nutshell:

I love this game so much I would slay a happy family of seven just to play for an hour.

Hope that helps your decision to buy the game or not.

I think overall the game is good. There are some frustrating moments where the game seems to take advantage of it's own combat system (If the party leader dies it's game over). The upside is, there is absolutely no penalty at all for dying in the game, as retrying will put your party right outside the battle ready to go again. The plot is good, the characters are likable (except Hope, I wish someone would beat him to death). I'm pretty close to beating it and I'm looking forward to the side missions.

Just re-read my post, and it's amazing how many times i said amazing. :shock:

The linear nature of the game does fit right in with what I think they were trying to accomplish: immersing you in an epic cinematic storyline with pretty... amazing.. cut scenes. I never got into FFXII enough to really experience the game as you mentioned Shiki, (did the first two hunting quests - tomato and wolf - before my saved game got erased and I stopped playing), but FFX had enough open world play to keep my shortened attention span involved without getting lost.

I also did read a FFXIII review that also mentioned that once you progress, the world opens up and you get to branch off a bit. Do you guys have any non-spoiler info on that? :)

One other thing I would have liked to have seen was a mini game... I actually loved blitzball. It reminded me of what would have been a standalone NES game, and I really enjoyed it. So a mini game would have been a nice lil bonus.

I like the weapon and armor upgrading, as well as the reiteration of the FFX grid sphere, and the graphics on that are amazing as well.

overall, yes i reallly like this game, and although it starts off leading you down a single path, i have a feeling it was done on purpose and will play out in a pretty nice way. I mean this is the 13th game, I would be pretty surprised if they made a significant screw up on this franchise.

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]