Grammar Notes

Gynis

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

effect vs. affect

I'm not going to explain the difference. If you happen to be one of those people that confuse these two words, please hang yourself with a belt.

I guess this is one , why are bomb , tomb , comb , all pronounced differently? and why is Thomas pronounced like Tomas .

effect vs. affect

I'm not going to explain the difference. If you happen to be one of those people that confuse these two words, please hang yourself with a belt.

That's actually one of the most common ones, according to a professor I had

The one that still bothers me is people that say 'reguard(s/ing)...It's REGARD(S/ING) DAMMIT!!...And, no, this is not due to regional spelling differences, such as 'color' vs. 'colour'.

I've seen a huge trend for the misuse of 'too'/'to' or 'then'/'than' in the past several months as well to which I can only quote a pro:

Edited by Feanore

The one that still bothers me is people that say 'reguard(s/ing)...It's REGARD(S/ING) DAMMIT!!...And, no, this is not due to regional spelling differences, such as 'color' vs. 'colour'.

I've seen a huge trend for the misuse of 'too'/'to' or 'then'/'than' in the past several months as well to which I can only quote a pro:

This has been some ownage brought to you by a Feanore.

"Should of" vs. "Should have" - I dunno if this mistake is made alot in America, but British accents make this a very common mistake. Pisses me off when I hear 15+ year olds saying it, because dude seriously.. not that hard mate.

I'm guessing that "should of" is based on the way the contraction "should've" sounds. As far as I can tell, that contraction only exists in spoken form.

When I said it 'exists' only in spoken form, I meant that it's not acceptable for use in writing. That isn't to say that people don't use it!

my personal pet peeve is your and you're.

it's your ball, but you're going to the store to get another one.

GET IT? GOT IT? good.

I think that's why people say 'ur'. They're too much of jacktards to know the difference.

I think that's why people say 'ur'. They're too much of jacktards to know the difference.

'Jacktards'...This word is full of win! :laugh:

/kicksbib

To, or for, all intents and purposes, not all intensive purposes. MTFrs

There, their, they're.

This is one of the worst for me. I started to notice it a lot pugging some BGs. People yelling out:

"The flag is still in there base."

" There coming up from mine!"

/punches through the screen

Edited by Coeus

I get confused with effect and affect because I always second guess spelling it affect since i rarely use effect. However, I've heard you use this one HV so we're even (not a spelling thing but =P ). Not sure why this bothers me...I remember my English teachers beating people over the head with beer bottles when they used this so I guess its why it bothers me. Not a fan of glass embedded in my skull.

No: Me and Bobaganush are going to kill a Canadian with an American Flag.

Yes: Bobaganush and I are going to kill two Canadians with an American Flag.

Edited by Beornwarrior

I like effect v affect because I often use the noun form of affect in mental health. Throws a monkey wrench into the plans.

One thing that's always bothered me is its and it's.

From what I understand, you use an "'s" when you're either shortening "_ is", "_ has" or when you're referring to something that belongs to the subject of the statement. E.g. "Johnny's dog had rabies." or "The dog's bone contained some disease".

Regarding the latter example, if you were to refer to the dog as "it", I would think that you would say "It's bone contained some disease" rather than "Its bone contained...". Which is correct?

Another case: "Duncan feared a moth. When the moth was feared, it realised that IT'S reason to live no longer existed.". It's or its?

Edited by Ravenheart

Its and it's are two different words all together anyways...

"Its" is a genitive pronoun. Its claims ownership."It's" is a nominative noun with a contraction which is a verb.

Its and it's are two different words all together anyways...

"Its" is a genitive pronoun. Its claims ownership."It's" is a nominative noun with a contraction which is a verb.

Este wins!

here's a good one. lose and loose.

i'm going to LOSE this av because the offense is LOOSE and sloppy. this drives me absolutely insane.

also: RIDICULOUS. it's not REDICULOUS. it's RIDICULOUS. with an I. learn it. love it.

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]