Gay Rights

Skadie

I'm going to be writing a 10 page paper on gay rights in my English class. All papers are centered around "Invisibility" so I'll be writing about legal and social issues throughout the last century applying to homosexual rights (or actually, it'll probably officially be LGBT rights).

I was wondering if anyone would like to give some input on topics I should touch on or any in depth concerns applying to gay rights.

Thanks! :kiss:

I'm not gay.

However.

I think its disgusting how people who live a LGBT lifestyle are in essence not given the same rights as we all have.

Here in Canada, my cousin married his life partner, in the US they just took that right away in California.

We live in a day where we are taught to be tolerant, however, our 'teachers' are telling us the if you're gay, you shouldn't be awarded the same rights (I said rights, not privileges).

If people who practice the Islamic faith (I don't mean the everyday Muslim; I mean extremists) are still allowed to beat their wives to a bloody pulp for not following him directly from behind, or for showing too much skin without persecution here in Canada or in the US or in Timbuktu, whats that say about our governments?

Until our individual governments can alter their 1920's belief systems and constitutions, these BREACHES of human rights will continue.

Wow, that was a rant. I'm at work and I just had a bad call.

/discuss

i would talk about the gay movement in San Fran

i mean i live in the area and i can say that a majority of the population in the bay area supports gay rights. Overall i view san fran very liberal progressive... i mean you smoke weed in the streets there, gay ppl hold hands/kiss whatev. its gotten to the point where i have been so exposed to it its not that big of a deal anymore.

/discuss

There's always been an argument by the 'other' side that has annoyed and vexed me, knowing that it is wrong but without a clear way of expressing how wrong it is: that gays have the same rights as everyone else. A gay male can marry any female he wants, just like a straight male; etc etc.

Perhaps incorporate how the understanding of homosexuality vs homosexual behavior/born gay vs choosing to be gay has affected legal issues and rights.

Oh, and why my nickname of GLiBbeT never took off. I totally thought it was golden!

I think if you're exploring a theme of invisibility as it relates to gay rights and homosexuals, you should definitely incorporate the text of the policies and vernacular that surround these extremely sensitive issues.

Case in point: Don't Ask, Don't Tell. This is invisibility at it's core. If we do not see it, we do not look at it, the "problem" will go away. Rights aren't violated because we don't talk about different treatment. The use of language itself removes the problem by removing it from public consumption. Homosexuals can "live however they want behind closed doors" just don't teach my baseball playing son that it's okay for him to have "batting practice" in his room after school.

I think that it's an interesting thing that it is the moral majority (not the extremists that denounce homosexuality as demonic, along with women's education and civil disobedience) that declare that homosexuality may be okay so long as it is not brought to the forefront of public attention. This seems somewhat problematic when it's a moral stance, because the morality then becomes one of invisibility. It's okay, so long as no one else sees. Even the term "in the closet" indicates that homosexuality should be kept out of the public eye, where it is apparently a morally inconvenient part of other people's lives.

I'm gay.

However.

I think its disgusting how people who live a LGBT lifestyle are in essence not given the same rights as we all have.

Here in Canada, my cousin married his life partner, in the US they just took that right away in California.

We live in a day where we are taught to be tolerant, however, our 'teachers' are telling us the if you're gay, you shouldn't be awarded the same rights (I said rights, not privileges).

Until our individual governments can alter their 1920's belief systems and constitutions, these BREACHES of human rights will continue.

/discuss

fixt & my opinion

It's all pathetic how gay's cannot achieve the same rights the average individual gets. They should be able to, It's ethically correct. Like... if I owned a company and I had a gay guy and a straight guy applying to the same job, I would be fair about it cause I don't care if I am employing gay people.

With the world today, We need to accept the fact that people are raised by bigotry.

People don't accept the fact people are gay or lesbian because they are scared of change. They think that since one person likes the same sex, the whole world is going to also become gay/lesbian. With the rights people get currently, It will never change unless people stop living in fear and producing hatred.

Just a quick summary of my opinion >.<

Edited by Trenton

I did a similar paper on adoption rights of gays and lesbians a few years ago. Got a good grade off it too :-)

I guess you could say everything I write is kind of gay related.

Thanks a lot everyone! I think I'm only going to work on the political issues and touch on marriage, adoption rights, and don't ask don't tell. If anyone has any other ideas, I have about a month to write this.

Thanks again =)

I guess you could say everything I write is kind of gay related.

I def lol'd at that =p

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]