Technologically Declined Needs Help!

Kornith

So, since 3.3.3 hit, my WoW has been lagging up a storm. It's not addons, it's not background programs, and it's not my overall internet- it's WoW. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, used the repair do-hickey, and even shouted at it a few times. After tonight's disgraceful performance, I'm seeking some suggestions. I'm also going to start bugging GMs, but no garruntees there. Tech-Savvy guildmates, ACTIVATE!

Ignore my atrocious spelling

Rog, I've seen lots of people complain about this recently and there seems to be a general consensus that you need to flush your DNS. It's not painful and nor is there a toilet brush in sight (unless you happen to have your computer in the bathroom, but that's something for another topic!).

If anything isn't clear feel free to post back seeking clarification.

1) Click on Start, then Run, and type in CMD

2) Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

3) If your on Vista of Win7 you should be prompted with the Administrator prompt. Confirm this.

4) ipconfig /flushdns

5) ...

6) profit (hopefully!)

Hope this helps if not then I have a few more tricks we might try, but each gets a little more invasive.

I'm gonna try that myself. maybe it will help while im dual boxing...

is it possibly that they put newer/better textures in? If a lot of people are complaining about it, it may be a more widespread issue like, increased texture resolution or some nonsense.

what kind of hardware are you running rog?

cpu?

ram? (how fast and how much)

video card?

X- tried it, and it fixed my lag for a quick second, then I got disconnected, and couldn't get past the loading screen. Gonna try a few more times, see if something changes.

KP- CPU type:Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz

CPU Speed (GHz):2.121

Graphics card model:NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Graphics card driver:nvd3dum.dll

RAM: 4.00 GB

UPDATE: I got back on, and I'm now sitting at ~2k ms, which is much better than the 7-12k ms that I was at. Still kind of laggy, but much better. I'll have to remember that :)

Edited by Rogthane

Next questions are, is the 2000ms being reported in game or is the 2sec delay what you're feeling when you try to perform an action (test when you're in IF rather than Dalaran). And are both numbers (in-game and observed) about the same?

In the mean time check your graphics card (GFX) drivers are at the latest stable release (197.13 as of this post). I remember a little while back that some of the old NVIDIA drivers were causing a significant amount of User Interface latency. So you'd feel the lag, but in game you'd be seeing a much smaller latency value.

-X

EDIT: You might also want to unplug and leave for at least 30 second each element in your network, so your computer, router and modem. Then plug them back in.

Start with your modem, wait 60s

Then your router, wait 60s more

Then your computer.

This will hopefully cause your network devices to flush their DNS caches too.

The step after this will be to perform a network trace to the Blizzard Login Servers.

Edited by Xiaolin

Yeah def. go with X's suggestion of checking ALL of your drivers are the most current working versions and resetting your modem/router setup. i do it at least once a month even if things are running fine.

This is always one of the first things to do when you are experiencing frequent random disconnects, and constistent (non patch day) lag and latency spikes.

Also I have gotten stuck on loading screen 4-5 times since the last patch, like 5 min. on loading screen just to see what was going to happen before i ctrl-alt-dlt'd WoW in the face. I don't know what the problem is, but i keep my pc running like a champ, so for the most part (ahem, windows-lol) i am certain of my pc's stability.

also def. post us and let us know what the lag/latency etc is doing in IF as opposed to Dalaran.

From what i understand, WoW is pretty CPU intensive, but your amount of ram seems adequate assuming it is a decent speed, I will suggest a GPU upgrade if at all possible :)

GL

I'll check that more in depth when I have time- lotta of AFK for the next few days. Thanks a bunch guys!

[[Template core/front/_liskoduje/liskodujeJS is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]