> Observations as a Terran

stangmeister
post Apr 16 2010, 08:57 AM
Post #1
Group: Guardian
Stangerang
Night Elf Priest
Armory Link
So after a bajillion games I have faith in Terran again. Turns out, so do quite a lot of others! If you look on fan sites, people are complaining all about Terrans now. Reapers especially.

I hardly use reapers because I am to slow with their required micro, but, I think I am going to try and use them more often.

I build a barracks early, may as well make one reaper and send it off to kill some workers asap. I used to wait until I had like 10 of them but waiting that long takes away some of their effectiveness. Get there early - like sub 3 min early and start popping off drones/probes. It's not as effective vs Terran because they have early ranged guys like Marines/Mauraders.

My problem would be I would need to make sure to set something in motion back at base before I left so when I got back I wouldn't be rich with no units. Maybe start a second barracks and a refinery or depots or something.

So far though I mostly go 4x Marines with 4x Mauraders. Really it's however many marines I can get before 4 Mauraders pops out. I hear Stim is the best upgrade, but I usually get the +10HP to marines as the 3rd Maurader is building which then is done before I get to the enemy. It's been working great so long as no cheese maneuvers are in play like proxy barracks/gateways rushing the front door or sneaky cannons or something.

Story time! Tommy and I played a game on Twilight Fortress last night where they proxy raxxed/gateway'd outside our base and me being inexperienced with that my front door got creamed... then in turn my base. I had 1 scv survive. Tommy did stellar in just a constant stream of harassment. Constantly sending lings/banelings into their main's workers all the while making a ton of spine crawlers / lings to defend his base. I eventually snuck my sole SCV to a spot to make my new Command Center (FYI Trick! If you build a new CC or nexus or whatever and you are already revealed, your new one will be visible to your enemy. Just cancel it after construction and the dot will remain on their map, but build it somewhere else so they don't know where it is.) and flew it to the high yield minerals. They left me alone because tommy was harassing so much so I went for 4 ghost academies which means 4 nukes. I got 2 ghosts out and by then we just blew their front door open and Tommy finished them off. Was great.

Another thing Tommy did which was awesome is go early Mutas. He went in and took out a lot of their workers which then meant they built a ton of air to air units to kill his mutas. Thing is, Tommy went back to lings/banelings so they had a ton of Phoenixes that couldn't shoot anything. Always scout!

--------------------
Profile CardPMGo to the top of the page+Quote Post

Erlin
post Apr 16 2010, 03:49 PM
Post #2
Group: FP Member
will yiff 4 fud
how many times do i have to sit behind you and say reapers? i guess it finally sank in! im telling you if you're watching someone play SC you are an expert!

--------------------
Gynis, can you innervate Erlin please? Thank you. -Erlin

Erlin
post Apr 16 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #3
will yiff 4 fud
i went early mutas on another zerg, he saw me building lots of lings, so he built roaches, but i went in with 2 mutas, killed his queen, she almost killed 1 of my mutas. he had no other AA, but as soon as i killed his queen, like 4 hydras popped. by the time i had built up something he had a huge army of hydras, i should have built another hatchery.

--------------------
Gynis, can you innervate Erlin please? Thank you. -Erlin

Kaslor
post Apr 20 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #4
Group: Councilor
/pistol-wink
Human Paladin
Armory Link
Yeah, I've only played terran a few times in SC2, but from my experience playing along-side them as well as against them, I think they are really in a great place. They have a lot of great options depending on the situation, and the only area I can really see them lacking in is air vs. air against Zerg. They really don't have anything to counter mutas in the air, but marines and thors eat up mutas so bad I guess they don't need anything.

That was a fun game though, I love discovering a proxy and then defeating it! =P You did a great job at building back up too, those nukes really opened them up. Go go team work!

Benny Mac! How good are you with your queen micro? More hatcheries are always welcome of course, but in the beginning if you're going early mutas you can get around 10 or so with one hatch, provided you keep up with your queen micro. Watch some of those replays where Eric goes quick air, he's great at it.

--------------------

palidin
post Apr 21 2010, 04:21 AM
Post #5
Group: V.I.P.
forum n00b
Human Paladin
yeah terran are extremely versatile. It isnt too expensive to switch techs (like protoss) you can build a good defense, that at the choke lasts throughout the game. I had a terran with one base hold me off (against my 4 bases) until he ran out of minerals because I just had no way to get in. They have a cheap rush that they can recover from quickly. And they have some powerful units that are easy to micro.

And yeah at the zerg end, I still have trouble building enough workers.... for some reason I always have trouble with it, but I am getting better at it, finally starting to win games with zerg getting me out of my copper rut

leifomg
post May 27 2010, 01:38 PM
Post #6
novice
terran ftw icon_surprised.gif

Marines best unit in the game imo!

--------------------

Fatherpeteus
post Aug 5 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #7
ub3r l337
Dwarf Priest
Armory Link
Ghosts and Ravens are FTW. EMPs own Protoss swarms (blink stakers, Void Rays, w/e), and the Seeker missle makes an awesome followup! The point defense drone is really strong, and um, I'm missing something... Oh yeah, nukes!
icon_smile.gif

Coeus
post Aug 5 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #8
ub3r l337
Hate.

As zerg, I can't beat mech.

--------------------
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

"Think of how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that."
-George Carlin

leifomg
post Aug 9 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #9
novice
I've always been a terran fanboi, but I've grown to like them even more lately. Opening reaper is always good, even if you only kill one worker, you can get them on the defensive and thinking about their base rather than killing yours, open into some cloaked banshess to push them further off balance and then go from there!!!

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 02:13 PM
Invision Power Board skin developed by Transverse Styles